How can the Frobenius method be used to find a solution for a second-order ODE?

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find a solution for an equation where y=\frac{-1}{4}\suma0xn/(n!)2. The attempt at a solution found y=-1/4)a0e2x/x not equal to 0 and is not a solution of the ODE. However, someone with more experience may be able to see where the problem lies.
zass

Homework Statement

Use the Frobenius method, for an expansion about x=0, to find ONE solution of

xy''+y'+(1/4)y=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

starting with an assumption of y1=[tex]\sum[/tex]anxn+r
and plugging it into the ODE, i found

y=[tex]\frac{-1}{4}[/tex][tex]\sum[/tex]a0xn/(n!)2

i think this can be equated to:
y=(-1/4)a0e2x/x, but when i plug it into the ODE it doesn't equal 0, and thus isn't a solution of the ODE, can anyone see where I've gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi zass! Welcome to PF! :smile:
zass said:
… i think this can be equated to:
y=(-1/4)a0e2x/x, but when i plug it into the ODE it doesn't equal 0, and thus isn't a solution of the ODE, can anyone see where I've gone wrong?

Difficult to say without seeing your full calculations, but did you take into account that the equations for n = 0 and 1 are usually different from the equations for general n?

I think i accounted for it
Here's my working out, maybe u can see if I've made a mistake:
Using the initial assumption I've found u' and u'', then subbed them into the ode:
[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{inf}_{n=0}[/tex](n+r)(n+r-1)anxn+r-2 + [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{inf}_{n=0}[/tex](n+r)anxn+r-2 + (1/4)[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{inf}_{n=0}[/tex]anxn+r-1 = 0

Simplifying and collecting terms and sum:
=[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{inf}_{n=1}[/tex]((n+r)(n+r-1)an + (n+r)an + (1/4)an-1)xn+r-2 + (0+r)(0+r-1)a0x0+r-2 + (0+r)a0x0+r-2 = 0

Equating coefficients i found
r2 = 0

And thus the series now becomes
n(n-1)an + nan + (1/4)an-1 = 0

Which gives the recurrence formula:
an = [tex]\frac{-an-1}{4n2}[/tex] , n=1,2,3,...inf

then taking the first few terms i found
an = a0/(n!)2
and then just subbed back into the initial assumption made. I can't see anything wrong with what I've done :confused:

Hi zass! :smile:

(have a sigma: ∑ and an infinity: ∞ and if you're using tex, ∞ is \infty, and sub and sup are _{} and ^{} :wink:)

You've left out (-1/4)n

does that make it ok?:smile:

ah of course! for some reason i thought that'd just be a constant.
finally got a solution that fits :biggrin:

Related to How can the Frobenius method be used to find a solution for a second-order ODE?

1. What is the Frobenius method for solving ODEs?

The Frobenius method is a technique for finding a series solution to a second-order ordinary differential equation (ODE) around a regular singular point. It is particularly useful when the ODE cannot be solved using other methods, such as separation of variables or the method of undetermined coefficients.

2. When should the Frobenius method be used?

The Frobenius method should be used when the ODE has a regular singular point, which is a point where the coefficients in the equation become infinite. Examples of regular singular points include the origin (0,0) and points where the equation is undefined.

3. What is a regular singular point?

A regular singular point is a point in an ODE where at least one of the coefficients becomes infinite. This can happen when the equation is undefined or when the equation is not well-behaved at that point, such as at the origin.

4. How does the Frobenius method work?

The Frobenius method involves plugging in a series solution into the ODE and solving for the coefficients in the series. The series is then manipulated using recurrence relations to find a general form for the solution. The solution can then be checked for convergence and adjusted if necessary.

5. What are the advantages of using the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method is useful for solving ODEs that cannot be solved using other methods. It also allows for finding a general solution that can be adjusted to fit initial conditions, making it a versatile technique for solving a wide range of ODEs.