How can the equation ln(1+d)=d be used to approximate p= Ae^-0.004h/30?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Bawx
  • Start date
In summary, the approximate equation for the tangent line to the y = ln x curve at x = 1 is y = x-1, and for small delta, ln(1+d) '=' d.
Bawx
Hi guys,
I'm having a lot of trouble with this question and any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

1. Sketch the curve y = ln x and find the tangent line to this curve at the point where the curve crosses the x-axis. Deduce that, for small delta,

ln(1+d) '=' d

2. Use the approximation from the previous part to deduce that

p = p(h) '=' Ae^-0.004h/30

*the '=' are supposed to be the squiggly approximately signs but I'm not sure how to type those sorry

-I think I've found the equation for the tangent line, as ln(1)=0 and y'=1/x so by using y-y1=m(x-x1) the tangent line is y=x-1 but I'm not sure how this relates to delta at all?

- I'm not really sure how to approach the second part at all

Physics news on Phys.org
Bawx said:
Hi guys,
I'm having a lot of trouble with this question and any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

1. Sketch the curve y = ln x and find the tangent line to this curve at the point where the curve crosses the x-axis. Deduce that, for small delta,

ln(1+d) '=' d
Good so far. The rest relies on that line. The line approximates the value of ln(x) in the area near to x = 1. According to your line, any value of ln(1 + d) is going to be close to the value on the tangent line, in this case when x = 1 + d, the y value will be y = (1 + d) - 1 = d.

Bawx said:
2. Use the approximation from the previous part to deduce that

p = p(h) '=' Ae^-0.004h/30
What's p?

-Dan

This same problem was recently posted by another member, and you may find the discussion helpful:

http://mathhelpboards.com/calculus-10/y-ln-x-10679.html

Oh ok, so since ln(x) '=' x-1 you can just sub (1+d) to both sides?

Ah oops, I forgot to add the explanation above the questions:

Air pressure decays approximately exponentially at about 0.4 per cent for each rise of 30 metres above sea level. If we let p = p(h) denote air pressure (measured in some appropriate units) at h metres above sea level, then we can model this phenomenon using the equation

p = p(h) = Ae^kh

for some appropriate constants A and k.

MarkFL said:
This same problem was recently posted by another member, and you may find the discussion helpful:

http://mathhelpboards.com/calculus-10/y-ln-x-10679.html

Oh oops, I didn't realize that. Thanks for pointing it out! That one seems to get stuck on finding the tangent line tough, I hope it's ok if I keep using this thread. Sorry about that.

Bawx said:
Oh oops, I didn't realize that. Thanks for pointing it out! That one seems to get stuck on finding the tangent line tough, I hope it's ok if I keep using this thread. Sorry about that.

There's nothing wrong with posting a problem that has been posted before (it happens from time to time, we only discourage the same person from posting a problem more than once), I just wanted you to be able to see the discussion there as well. :D

If You can demonstrate that is...

$\displaystyle \lim_{d \rightarrow 0} \frac{\ln (1 + d)}{d} = 1\ (1)$

... then You can say that for 'small d' is $\displaystyle \ln (1 + d) \sim d$. The (1) is easily demonstrable using the concept of derivative but let's suppose You don't have yet such a concept and the only You know is the definition of exponential...

$\displaystyle e^{x} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (1 + \frac{x}{n})^{n}\ (2)$

... and the fact that logarithm is the inverse of exponential. What You can do is to compute the limit...

$\displaystyle \lim_{d \rightarrow 0} e^{\frac{\ln (1+d)}{d}} = \lim_{d \rightarrow 0} (1+ d)^{\frac{1}{d}} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (1+ \frac{1}{n})^{n} = e\ (3)$

... and (1) is demonstrated...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to How can the equation ln(1+d)=d be used to approximate p= Ae^-0.004h/30?

1. What is the meaning of "Ln(1+d)=d"?

"Ln(1+d)=d" is a mathematical equation that represents the natural logarithm of a number (1+d) being equal to the number itself (d).

2. Is "Ln(1+d)=d" a commonly used equation in science?

Yes, "Ln(1+d)=d" is a commonly used equation in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It is used to describe certain natural phenomena and to make predictions in mathematical models.

3. How is "Ln(1+d)=d" derived?

The equation "Ln(1+d)=d" can be derived from the definition of the natural logarithm function, which is the inverse of the exponential function. It can also be derived from the properties of logarithms and the laws of exponents.

4. What are the applications of "Ln(1+d)=d" in science?

The equation "Ln(1+d)=d" has numerous applications in science, including population growth modeling, radioactive decay, and enzyme kinetics. It is also used in finance and economics to model compound interest and inflation.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions to using "Ln(1+d)=d" in scientific calculations?

Yes, there are some limitations and restrictions to using "Ln(1+d)=d" in scientific calculations. One of the main limitations is that the equation only applies to positive values of d. Additionally, it may not accurately represent all natural phenomena and should be used in conjunction with other mathematical models and experimental data.