How can the distance duality relation be derived in a model-independent way?

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with understanding and deriving the distance duality relation, which relates the angular diameter distance and the luminosity distance. They mention that the Etherington paper from 1933 is difficult to understand and they are looking for a reference where the relation is derived in a model-independent way. They have also tried reading the Etherington paper but found it to be too technical.
aymer
Hi ,

I need help from someone who has worked out the distance duality relation (between angular diameter distance and the luminosity distance).I am having trouble deriving it and the Etherington paper is a bit too tough for me where it was first discussed (1933). In one of the reviews its written that it comes when you use the transformation of solid angle under velocity transformation..

Space news on Phys.org
Its strange that nobody replied to this...I just want a reference as to wherever an attempt was made to derive the relation in a model/background independent way...i tried reading the Etherington paper (he was the first to introduce it I guess) but its a bit too technical for me...

Related to How can the distance duality relation be derived in a model-independent way?

1. What is the Distance Duality relation?

The Distance Duality relation is a fundamental concept in cosmology that relates the luminosity distance (DL) and angular diameter distance (DA) of an astronomical object. It states that the product of DL and DA is equal to the square of the object's redshift, regardless of the underlying theory of gravity.

2. Why is the Distance Duality relation important?

The Distance Duality relation is important because it provides a powerful tool for testing the validity of different theories of gravity. It also allows for more accurate measurements of the expansion rate of the universe and the amount of dark energy present.

3. How is the Distance Duality relation tested?

The Distance Duality relation can be tested through various methods, including observations of standard candles (objects with known luminosity) at different redshifts, measurements of galaxy clusters, and using cosmological models to compare theoretical predictions with observational data.

4. Are there any current challenges or limitations with the Distance Duality relation?

Yes, there are some challenges and limitations with the Distance Duality relation. One of the main challenges is the presence of systematic errors in observational data, which can affect the accuracy of the measurements. Additionally, some alternative theories of gravity may not follow the Distance Duality relation, making it difficult to test their validity through this method.

5. How does the Distance Duality relation relate to the inverse square law of light?

The Distance Duality relation is closely related to the inverse square law of light, which states that the intensity of light decreases in proportion to the square of the distance from the source. This law is a consequence of the Distance Duality relation, as it follows from the fact that the luminosity of an object decreases with distance due to the expansion of the universe.