How can the curl be a tendency?

• Thread starter LucasGB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curl
In summary: That was a response to arildno, I am just repeating your question.Along with that one, you can say that divergence at a point is the volum expansion rate per unit volume.
LucasGB
When studying the curl, one often finds the explanation that the curl is a measure of the tendency of a vector field to circulate around a given point. But this doesn't make much sense to me, since there's no clear way to measure "tendency"? What are the units of "tendency"? Wouldn't you agree that it is way more clear and precise to state that the curl is proportional to the tendency of the field to circulate around a given point?

I know this is a rather unimportant topic, but I'd like to hear your opinion. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Even if you include the term "proportional", "tendency" is still a fuzzy word. It is just meant to clarify the mental picture of what curl physically means, for example in some flow. If you insist on rigour, you should revert to the mathematical definition. The formula is completely unambiguous, however it won't give you much insight into what it is.

Tendency is obviously not a mathematically rigorous term. I think it's pretty clear what curl and divergence mean if you just look at a vector field with zero curl but non zero divergence, and a field with zero divergence and non zero curl. I.e. maxwell's equations for electrostatics.

So you guys are suggesting that there is no precise and rigorous verbal way to describe what divergence and curl are?

Funny thing is, this problem doesn't seem to exist with the gradient. It can be clearly stated to be a vector whose direction is that of the highest rate of change of the scalar function, and whose magnitude is that rate of change.

I wonder why there's a precise verbal definition for the gradient, and yet one cannot be achieved for the curl.

Last edited:
LucasGB said:
I wonder why there's a precise verbal definition for the gradient, and yet one cannot be achieved for the curl and the gradient.

Because "twice the local, instantaneous rotation rate of an infinitesemal fluid element" is not a concept in Average Joe's daily life. :smile:

arildno said:
Because "twice the local, instantaneous rotation rate of an infinitesemal fluid element" is not a concept in Average Joe's daily life. :smile:

Oh, that's what it is? But I think even that description is not rigorous, for it doesn't have to be a fluid. Please note I'm not trying to find a verbal description which is accessible or simple, merely a precise verbal description. What is the way to describe the divergence?

There's also the description that the curl is the circulation per unit area at a point. I think this is precise, right?

The average joe is not taking vector calculus. I am only a senior undergrad, I want to know the answer -sarcasm please!

Last edited:
I don't understand what you're talking about...

That was a response to arildno, I am just repeating your question.

LucasGB said:
There's also the description that the curl is the circulation per unit area at a point. I think this is precise, right?

Sure.

Along with that one, you can say that divergence at a point is the volum expansion rate per unit volume.

Related to How can the curl be a tendency?

1. What is the curl and how is it related to tendencies?

The curl is a mathematical concept used in fluid mechanics and electromagnetism to describe the rotation or circulation of a vector field. It is related to tendencies because it measures the tendency for a fluid or electromagnetic field to rotate or circulate around a given point.

2. How is the curl calculated?

The curl is calculated by taking the cross product of the gradient operator and the vector field. In mathematical notation, it can be written as curl(F) = ∇ x F, where ∇ is the gradient operator and F is the vector field.

3. What does a positive or negative curl indicate?

A positive curl indicates counterclockwise rotation, while a negative curl indicates clockwise rotation. This information can be useful in predicting the behavior of fluid or electromagnetic systems.

4. How can the curl be used to understand fluid flow?

The curl can be used to understand the vorticity, or rotational motion, of a fluid. By analyzing the curl at different points in a fluid, we can determine areas of high vorticity, which can help us understand the flow patterns and tendencies of the fluid.

5. Can the curl be applied to other fields besides fluid mechanics and electromagnetism?

Yes, the concept of curl can be applied to other fields such as economics and social sciences. In these fields, the curl can represent the tendency for certain behaviors or trends to circulate within a system. However, the specific calculations and interpretations may differ from those used in fluid mechanics and electromagnetism.