How can the complex exponential product be proven for all real p and m?

In summary, a complex exponential product is a mathematical expression that involves multiplying two or more complex exponential functions together. The formula for calculating a complex exponential product is to multiply the coefficients and add the exponents. These products have properties such as commutativity and associativity, and can be used in various real-world applications. They can be solved by using the rules of exponents and logarithms, and can also be rewritten in terms of trigonometric functions.
Greg
Gold Member
MHB
Show that, for all real \(\displaystyle p\) and \(\displaystyle m\),

\(\displaystyle e^{2mi\cot^{-1}(p)}\left(\dfrac{pi+1}{pi-1}\right)^m=1\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Notice that, for all real $u$, we have:
$$\frac{i \cot{u} + 1}{i \cot{u} - 1} = \frac{i \frac{\cos{u}}{\sin{u}} + 1}{i \frac{\cos{u}}{\sin{u}} - 1} = \frac{\sin{u} + i \cos{u}}{i \cos{u} - \sin{u}} = \cos{2u} - i \sin{2u} = e^{-2iu}$$
Therefore it follows that:
$$e^{2iu} \left ( \frac{i \cot{u} + 1}{i \cot{u} - 1} \right ) = e^{2iu} e^{-2iu} = 1$$
And so for all real $m$ we have:
$$e^{2miu} \left ( \frac{i \cot{u} + 1}{i \cot{u} - 1} \right )^m = 1^m = 1$$
Setting $p = \cot{u}$ so that $u = \cot^{-1}{p}$ completes the proof.

Related to How can the complex exponential product be proven for all real p and m?

What is a complex exponential product?

A complex exponential product is a mathematical expression that involves multiplying two or more complex exponential functions together. A complex exponential function is of the form f(x) = a*e^(bx+ci), where a, b, and c are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. The product of two or more of these functions can also be written in the form of a complex exponential function.

What is the formula for calculating a complex exponential product?

The formula for calculating a complex exponential product is: (a*e^(bx+ci)) * (d*e^(ex+fi)) = ad*e^((b+e)x+(c+f)i). This can be extended to any number of complex exponential functions being multiplied together. The coefficients of the real and imaginary terms are multiplied, while the exponents are added.

What are the properties of complex exponential products?

There are several properties of complex exponential products, including the fact that they follow the commutative and associative properties of multiplication. This means that the order of the functions being multiplied does not affect the result, and that grouping the functions in different ways will also produce the same result. Another property is that the product of a complex exponential function and its complex conjugate (where the sign of the imaginary term is changed) will result in a real number.

What are some real-world applications of complex exponential products?

Complex exponential products have many applications in science and engineering. They are commonly used in signal processing, electrical engineering, and quantum mechanics. They can also be used to model growth and decay processes in biology, economics, and other fields.

How can complex exponential products be solved?

Solving complex exponential products involves using the properties and rules of exponents. This includes distributing the coefficients, combining like terms, and using the laws of logarithms to simplify the expression. In some cases, the product can also be rewritten in terms of trigonometric functions using Euler's formula (e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x)).