How Can Software Identify Maximum Curvature on a Graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the point of maximum curvature on a graph plotted from experimental data, specifically for a consolidation topic in soil mechanics. The speaker is looking for software that can locate this point, but another suggests parametrizing the curve and finding its curvature, setting the derivative to zero. The importance of avoiding "text-speak" is also mentioned.
anonymousman
Urgent!How to find the point where Maximum Curvature occurs on graph?

Homework Statement

The graph(2D) is plotted from experimental data, not from a given equation and within certain limit. I want to know the x&y coordinate where the maximum curvature occur via software means, not manually. FYI, for those with civil&geotechnical engineering background, the graph i am plotting is about consolidation topic of soil mechanics subject, which is the void ratio vs effective stress curve. I want to get the preconsolidation value from the graph plotted.

p.s. the attached file is rough idea of what i mean.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,334
Physics news on Phys.org
From the tone of this, I suspect that you are to determine the point of maximum curvature by looking at the graph and deciding where it appears to "curve" most!

yes, do u know any software that can find the point?

lol,no offense i aint that advanced to get the maximum curvature by hand calculation, lol, that's why i need a software, if not, imma get the point via naked point instead

anonymousman said:
lol,no offense i aint that advanced to get the maximum curvature by hand calculation, lol, that's why i need a software, if not, imma get the point via naked point instead

I think you mean "naked eye", not "naked point". Anyway, that is what you need to do. Also: please avoid 'text-speak' in this Forum; take the trouble to say 'I' instead of 'i' and 'you' instead of 'u', etc.

Ray Vickson said:
I think you mean "naked eye", not "naked point". Anyway, that is what you need to do. Also: please avoid 'text-speak' in this Forum; take the trouble to say 'I' instead of 'i' and 'you' instead of 'u', etc.

Addressed in a warning to the OP.

Related to How Can Software Identify Maximum Curvature on a Graph?

1. What is maximum curvature?

Maximum curvature is the point on a graph where the slope of the curve is steepest, indicating the greatest rate of change.

2. Why is it important to find the maximum curvature point on a graph?

Identifying the maximum curvature point can provide valuable insights into the behavior and trends of a graph, and can help in making predictions and decisions based on the data.

3. How can I find the maximum curvature point on a graph?

To find the maximum curvature point on a graph, you can use calculus techniques such as taking the derivative of the curve and setting it equal to zero, or by finding the point where the second derivative changes sign.

4. Is it possible to find the maximum curvature point without using calculus?

Yes, it is possible to approximate the maximum curvature point without using calculus by visually inspecting the graph and estimating the point where the curve appears to be steepest.

5. Can the maximum curvature point change over time?

Yes, the maximum curvature point can change over time as the underlying data and trends on the graph change. It is important to regularly review and update the maximum curvature point to accurately reflect the current state of the data.