How Can Separation of Variables Solve This Partial Differential Equation?

In summary: So far you have not shown me how you got any of these things, so I don't know if you are doing the right things. If you would just show me your work I would be able to see what you are doing and give you a push in the right direction.
sarahqwert

Homework Statement

utt = uxx -(25/4)cos((5/2)x)
ux(0,t) =1
u(pi,t)= pi
u(x,0)=x
ut(x,0)=0

Homework Equations

u(x,t)=v(x) + w(x,t)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did so far:

u(x,t)=v(x) + w(x,t)
u(x,0) = v(x) +w(x,0)

when t is large:
vxx - (25/4)cos((5/2)x) = 0
vx = (5/2)sin((5/2)x)
v(x) = -cos((5/2)x) +x

when t is not large
wtt = wxx
w(x,t)= x-v(x) = cos((5/2)x)

and I'm not sure what to do after this

Maybe: X''+ λX = 0
X'(0) = 1 and X(pi)= pi

Physics news on Phys.org
sarahqwert said:

Homework Statement

utt = uxx -(25/4)cos((5/2)x)
ux(0,t) =1
u(pi,t)= pi
u(x,0)=x
ut(x,0)=0

Homework Equations

u(x,t)=v(x) + w(x,t)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did so far:

u(x,t)=v(x) + w(x,t)
u(x,0) = v(x) +w(x,0)

when t is large:
vxx - (25/4)cos((5/2)x) = 0
vx = (5/2)sin((5/2)x)
v(x) = -cos((5/2)x) +x

when t is not large
wtt = wxx
w(x,t)= x-v(x) = cos((5/2)x)

What does ##t## being large have to do with anything?

and I'm not sure what to do after this

Maybe: X''+ λX = 0
X'(0) = 1 and X(pi)= pi

No. The point of your original substitution is to let ##v(x)## take care of the non-homogeneous terms. I will call ##f(x) = \frac {25}4\cos(\frac 5 2 x)## to save typing. What you want to do is substitute ##u(x,t) = v(x) + w(x,t)## into the equation ##u_{tt}=u_{xx}-f(x)## and its boundary conditions:

##u_{tt}=u_{xx}-f(x)## becomes ##w_{tt} = w_{xx}+v''(x) -f(x)## That will be satisfied if we take ##v''(x) = f(x)## and ##w_{tt} = w_{xx}##

Now ##u_x(0,t) = 1## becomes ##w_x(0,t) + v'(0) = 1##. That will be satisfied if we take ##v'(0)=1## and ##w_x(0,t)=0##.

##u(\pi,t)=\pi## becomes ##w(\pi,t) +v(\pi)=1##. That will be satisfied if we take ##v(\pi)=\pi## and ##w(\pi,t) = 0##.

Now with those conditions on ##v(x)## you should be able to solve for ##v(x)## and you have a homogeneous equation and boundary conditions in ##w##. Try to take it from there.

Likes 1 person
Thank you for your help, I m almost done solving this problem and got:

u(x,0)= Ʃ (cos((2n+1)/2)x)*Dn = x

sigma from 0 to infinity and Dn is a constant.

How do I find Dn?

sarahqwert said:
Thank you for your help, I m almost done solving this problem and got:

u(x,0)= Ʃ (cos((2n+1)/2)x)*Dn = x

sigma from 0 to infinity and Dn is a constant.

How do I find Dn?

That isn't correct. You need to show your work so I can see where you fell off the tracks.

Remember, when you substitute in the initial condition you get$$
x=u(x,0) = v(x) + w(x,0)$$so your initial condition for ##w(x,t)## is ##w(x,0)=x - v(x)##. What did you get for ##v(x)##?

Also, did you remember to check whether the eigenvalue zero works?

[Edit: Added] Your focus should be on solving the ##w(x,t)## system completely. That's where I need to see your work. Once you have figured that out, all you have to do to solve the ##u## system is write ##u(x,t) = v(x) + w(x,t)## because you know both ##v## and ##w##.

Last edited:
Sorry that was supposed to be w(x,t) not u(x,t). So:

Xn=C*cos((2n+1)/2)x
Tn=D*cos((2n+1)/2)t)+(B*sin((2n+1)/2)t)

w(x,t) = Ʃ Xn * Tn

w(x,t) = Ʃcos((2n+1)/2)x)*((D*cos((2n+1)/2)t)+(B*sin((2n+1)/2)t))

so

w(x,0)=Ʃcos((2n+1)/2)x)*D

and

w(x,0) = cos(5/2)x

Last edited:
sarahqwert said:
Sorry that was supposed to be w(x,t) not u(x,t). So:

Xn=C*cos((2n+1)/2)x
Tn=D*cos((2n+1)/2)t)+(B*sin((2n+1)/2)t)

w(x,t) = Ʃ Xn * Tn

w(x,t) = Ʃcos((2n+1)/2)x)*((D*cos((2n+1)/2)t)+(B*sin((2n+1)/2)t))

so

w(x,0)=Ʃcos((2n+1)/2)x)*D

You need subscripts on the constants, as ##D_n## and ##B_n##. You didn't answer some of my questions in post #4. What did you get for ##v(x)##? Did you check for zero eigenvalues? (This matters as to whether there is a constant term). What does the initial condition for ##w(x,0)## become?

[Edit: added] Also you need to show what your T(t) eigenvalue problem becomes, with boundary condition, and how you got ##T_n(t)##, because what you have isn't correct.

Last edited:

Related to How Can Separation of Variables Solve This Partial Differential Equation?

1. What is the concept of separation of variables?

The concept of separation of variables is a mathematical method used to solve differential equations by breaking them down into simpler equations that can be solved individually. This is done by assuming that the solution can be expressed as a product of two functions, each of which depends on only one of the variables in the original equation.

2. When is separation of variables typically used?

Separation of variables is typically used when dealing with partial differential equations, especially those that can be written in the form of a linear combination of partial derivatives. It is also commonly used in equations that involve physical systems with more than one independent variable.

3. What are the steps involved in separation of variables?

The first step in separation of variables is to assume that the solution can be written as a product of two functions, each of which depends on only one of the variables in the original equation. The next step is to substitute this assumed solution into the original equation and then simplify it as much as possible. This will result in two separate equations, each containing only one of the variables. The final step is to solve each of these equations separately to find the two functions, and then combine them to get the complete solution to the original equation.

4. Are there any limitations to using separation of variables?

Yes, there are some limitations to using separation of variables. This method can only be used for certain types of equations, such as linear and homogeneous equations. It also assumes that the solution can be expressed as a product of two functions, which may not always be the case. Additionally, separation of variables may not always yield a complete solution, and further techniques may be needed to find the complete solution.

5. Can separation of variables be used for non-linear equations?

No, separation of variables can only be used for linear equations. For non-linear equations, different techniques such as numerical methods or series solutions may be needed to find a solution. However, in some cases, non-linear equations can be approximated by linear equations and separation of variables can be applied.