How can resource management address the issue of population control?

In summary, the conversation discusses population control and the possibility of fitting the entire world population into an area the size of France. However, it is argued that this is not a population problem but rather a resource management and distribution issue. The conversation also touches on the idea of living in a well-planned city with high speed trains for transportation, and the potential challenges of living in close quarters with others. It is also mentioned that living like Americans would require three Earths and that the desire to live like an American may vary among individuals. The conversation ends with a discussion about the living arrangements in multi-story buildings and how they can accommodate a larger number of people in a smaller area.
e.coli
There are some who have a political or other agenda motivating them to make a hue & cry about population control.

The http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html" is 6,903,465,258.

The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France" (for example) is 260,558 sq. mi.

That means you can fit the entire population of the world into an area the size of France, at a population density of just under 26,495 people per square mile. At 640 acres per square mile, that's just over 41 people per acre (or an average family size of 4.7 people per 50'x100' lot)

That's not a population problem, that's a resource management/distribution problem.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If everyone lived in a single (well planned) city, with high speed electric trains shuttling people out to work on farms, logistics might be simple? Perhaps this will be the formula in the future - on new planets?

Not this argument again... A family can't survive on a 100' x 50' lot. Even if they could, I'd imagine they'd drive each other crazy and kill themselves.

I will refer you to this page, just because I don't feel like searching for journal articles about this subject: http://ingles.homeunix.net/rants/density.html

To sum it up, it would take 3 Earths for everybody to live like Americans. This also does not take into account resource depletion, environmental/soil degradation, the need for stable ecological systems, etc...

ektrules said:
Not this argument again... A family can't survive on a 100' x 50' lot. Even if they could, I'd imagine they'd drive each other crazy and kill themselves.

I will refer you to this page, just because I don't feel like searching for journal articles about this subject: http://ingles.homeunix.net/rants/density.html

To sum it up, it would take 3 Earths for everybody to live like Americans. This also does not take into account resource depletion, environmental/soil degradation, the need for stable ecological systems, etc...

Aren't there families living in 100' x 50' apartments (or much smaller)?

WhoWee said:

Yeah, but they don't live off 5000 sq. ft. They don't get their fuel, food, and building materials from 5000 sq. ft.

ektrules said:
Yeah, but they don't live off 5000 sq. ft. They don't get their fuel, food, and building materials from 5000 sq. ft.

Of course not - were you responding to my post originally?

"If everyone lived in a single (well planned) city, with high speed electric trains shuttling people out to work on farms, logistics might be simple? Perhaps this will be the formula in the future - on new planets? "

WhoWee said:
Of course not - were you responding to my post originally?

"If everyone lived in a single (well planned) city, with high speed electric trains shuttling people out to work on farms, logistics might be simple? Perhaps this will be the formula in the future - on new planets? "

Oh. No, I was responding to the OP originally. Yeah, that might be good formula on new planets (if we ever get that far) where building self-contained environments in hostile environments would be expensive. I'd think it would be uncomfortable living that close together to other families in small quarters though.

ektrules said:

I hardly want to live like an American.

StevieTNZ said:
I hardly want to live like an American.

LOL. Well, substitute just about any "first-world" country for the word American, and the results are the same.

WhoWee said:
You failed to consider multi-story buildings currently seems to be comprised mostly of apartments. It makes the actual amount of area accommodate a number of people quite flexible in practice.

Related to How can resource management address the issue of population control?

1. What is a resource management problem?

A resource management problem refers to the challenge of effectively allocating and utilizing limited resources in order to achieve a desired goal or outcome. This can include natural resources, financial resources, human resources, and other types of resources.

2. What are the common causes of resource management problems?

Resource management problems can be caused by a variety of factors, such as mismanagement, lack of planning, external factors like economic changes or natural disasters, or simply having inadequate resources to meet demand.

3. How can resource management problems be addressed?

Addressing resource management problems requires careful analysis and planning. This may include identifying and prioritizing objectives, assessing available resources, and implementing strategies to optimize resource allocation and usage.

4. What are the potential consequences of not addressing resource management problems?

If not addressed, resource management problems can lead to inefficiency, waste, and ultimately failure to achieve desired goals or outcomes. This can have negative impacts on individuals, organizations, and the environment.

5. How can technology be used to improve resource management?

Technology can play a significant role in improving resource management by providing tools for data collection, analysis, and communication. This can help identify areas for improvement, track resource usage, and facilitate more efficient and effective decision making.