How can I use two graphs to approximate g in a lab report?

• Thread starter haxtor21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, the student is trying to approximate the value of g using data from a cart traveling down an inclined plane. The student has attempted to solve for g using an equation and a graph, but is not sure how to connect the two.
haxtor21

Homework Statement

I am doing a lab report in which I am supposed to plot 2 graphs from which to approximate g. One is Delta X vs t and one is delta X vs t^2. The data represents the time it takes for an object to travel a certain distance interval (in my case a cart going down an inclined plane, and the time being measured by 2 photo-gates) I have SciDAVIs opened and have the data inside 2 tables, but I have no clue how to graph these two tables so that I get the necessary equations for approximating g. All i have right now is scattered data points.

Homework Equations

a=.5gsin(theta) -> g=(2a)/sin(theta) (for graph x-t)

m=.5gsin(theta); g=(2m)/sin(theta) (for graph x-t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure how these equations and graphs will help me get the experimental value of g. Does the computer just spit out some models and I plug them into each other? The lab just says to find the local value of g from both graphs, extremely helpful -_-. Someone please explain me how this is supposed to work. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the expressions for the theoretical curves that you expect? In other words, given an inclined plane at angle Θ to the horizontal, what is the function expressing x versus t?

gneill said:
What are the expressions for the theoretical curves that you expect? In other words, given an inclined plane at angle Θ to the horizontal, what is the function expressing x versus t?

that would be y= a+ ax + ax^2 and y= bx+c

I figured out the fit for my data points, with the x-t being a polynomial and x-tt being a linear fit. Now what am I supposed to do with them? How do these and my initial equations relate?

A cart with frictionless wheel bearings is released from rest on an inclined plane that makes an angle Θ to the horizontal. Derive an expression for the distance x that the cart travels down slope with respect to time t.

Your expression should contain the constant g, the acceleration due to gravity.

gneill said:
A cart with frictionless wheel bearings is released from rest on an inclined plane that makes an angle Θ to the horizontal. Derive an expression for the distance x that the cart travels down slope with respect to time t.

Your expression should contain the constant g, the acceleration due to gravity.

general form:
x= x-node + v-node (t) + .5(a-x)t^2

in which case a-x is -g

What is "node"? How can I calculate x(t) from "node"?

What is the specific equation for x versus t in this particular case? Have you not studied blocks sliding down frictionless slopes? There is a function x(t) = ? which gives the distance that the cart has covered in time t.

gneill said:
What is "node"? How can I calculate x(t) from "node"?

What is the specific equation for x versus t in this particular case? Have you not studied blocks sliding down frictionless slopes? There is a function x(t) = ? which gives the distance that the cart has covered in time t.

well i guess that would be Δx=.5 (g sin(θ)) t^2

Okay! So you would expect your x versus t graph of your data to follow the form

[tex]x(t) = \frac{1}{2}a t^2[/tex]

where a = g sin(θ). If you can find a from your graph, you can find g, right?

What is the slope of the function at some time t = t1? (hint: take the derivative). So pick suitable points along your plotted data and determine the local slope. Use the slope information at point t1 to find g using what you've derived.

For your second graph, where you're plotting x versus t2, essentially what you are doing is replacing t2 with a new variable τ. That is, τ = t2.

Your function becomes:

[tex]x(\tau) = \frac{1}{2}a \tau[/tex]

What's the slope of that graph? It should be easy to determine a and hence g from that one!

Related to How can I use two graphs to approximate g in a lab report?

1. How do you find the value of g from two graphs?

The value of g can be found by using the equation g = 2(pi)^2 / T^2, where T is the period of oscillation. The period can be determined from the x-axis of the position vs. time graph and the slope of the velocity vs. time graph can be used to calculate the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What are the two graphs needed to find g?

The two graphs needed to find g are the position vs. time graph and the velocity vs. time graph. Both graphs should represent the motion of an object undergoing free fall or simple harmonic motion.

3. Can g be calculated from any two graphs of motion?

No, g can only be calculated from two graphs of motion if the motion is either free fall or simple harmonic motion. In other types of motion, the acceleration due to gravity may not be constant or may not be the only force acting on the object.

4. What is the significance of finding g from two graphs?

Finding g from two graphs allows us to accurately determine the acceleration due to gravity, which is a fundamental constant in physics. It also allows us to confirm the validity of equations and theories related to gravitational force and motion.

5. Are there any limitations to using two graphs to find g?

Yes, there are some limitations. The graphs must be accurate and precise, and the motion must be free fall or simple harmonic motion. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance may affect the accuracy of the results.