How can I use integration by parts to solve this indefinite integral?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve the indefinite integral of (x^3)(e^x) by using the substitution t=x^2, followed by integration by parts with u=x^3 and dv=e^x*dx. The discussion also mentions the use of the trick of running parts twice and setting the two parts equal to each other. Additionally, it suggests trying dv=e^x*dx and u=x^3 to simplify the problem before doing integration by parts again.
razorlead

Homework Statement

Indefinite Integral (x^3)(e^x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to substitute t=x^2

t^(3/2)e^sqrt(t)

U=e^sqrt(t)
du=e^sqrt(t) dt

dv=t^(3/2)
V= (5/2)t^(5/2)

Because it has an exponential function, I know I need to use the trick of running parts twice and then setting the two parts equal to each other, but I'm stuck.

Thanks for your help

Razorlead

Physics news on Phys.org
razorlead said:

Homework Statement

Indefinite Integral (x^3)(e^x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to substitute t=x^2

t^(3/2)e^sqrt(t)

U=e^sqrt(t)
du=e^sqrt(t) dt

dv=t^(3/2)
V= (5/2)t^(5/2)

Because it has an exponential function, I know I need to use the trick of running parts twice and then setting the two parts equal to each other, but I'm stuck.
No, that isn't it.
Let u = x3, dv = exdx
That will get you to an integral involving x2 and ex.

Do integration by parts again, with u = x2 and dv = exdx. That will get you to an integral involving x and e2.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

The substitution isn't helping. Go for parts first. Try dv=e^x*dx, u=x^3. If you've got that right it's made the problem easier. And, yes, I think you'll need to do it twice more before you get rid of the last integral.

Related to How can I use integration by parts to solve this indefinite integral?

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals of products of functions. It involves breaking down the integrand into two parts and using the product rule to find the antiderivative of the original function.

When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is most useful when the integrand is a product of two functions, where one function is difficult to integrate and the other function is easy to differentiate.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two parts of the integrand.

How do I choose which part to differentiate and which part to integrate?

When using integration by parts, the choice of which part to differentiate and which part to integrate is typically based on the acronym "LIATE", which stands for Logarithmic, Inverse trigonometric, Algebraic, Trigonometric, and Exponential functions. The part that comes first in this order is usually chosen as u.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts include not correctly identifying which part should be differentiated and integrated, and not applying the formula correctly. It is also important to be mindful of the signs when substituting back into the original integral.