How can I solve this integral involving cube roots?

In summary, the integral becomes:\displaystyle \begin{align*} 3\cdot \int \frac{u^{-2}-3u^{-3} + 3u^{-4} - u^{-5} \, du}{u^5} &= 3\cdot \int_{-\infty}^{u^5} \, du\\ &= 3\cdot \left(\frac{-5}{u^5}\right) \end{align*}
Yankel
Hello

I am working on this integral

\[\int \frac{\sqrt[3]{x}}{(\sqrt[3]{x}+1)^{5}}\]I have tried using a substitution, I did:

\[u=\sqrt[3]{x}+1\]

and I got that the integral becomes:

\[3\cdot \int \frac{(u-1)(u-1^{2})}{u^{5}}du\]I moved on from there, got a result, however it was not identical to the one wolfrm alpha or maple got...I am stuck... :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if $u=\sqrt[3]{x}+1$, then $u-1=\sqrt[3]{x}$, and $du=(1/3)x^{-2/3}\,dx$, or $3(x^{2/3}) \, du= dx$, and hence $3(u-1)^{2} \, du=dx$. The integral becomes
$$\int \frac{\sqrt[3]{x}}{(\sqrt[3]{x}+1)^{5}} \, dx= \int \frac{3(u-1)^{3}}{u^{5}} \, du.$$
Perhaps you have the square in the wrong place?

Yankel said:
Hello

I am working on this integral

\[\int \frac{\sqrt[3]{x}}{(\sqrt[3]{x}+1)^{5}}\]I have tried using a substitution, I did:

\[u=\sqrt[3]{x}+1\]

and I got that the integral becomes:

\[3\cdot \int \frac{(u-1)(u-1^{2})}{u^{5}}du\]I moved on from there, got a result, however it was not identical to the one wolfrm alpha or maple got...I am stuck... :confused:

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{\sqrt[3]{x}}{\left( \sqrt[3]{x} + 1 \right) ^5} \, dx} &= \int{\frac{3\left( \sqrt[3]{x} \right) ^2 \, \sqrt[3]{x} }{3 \left( \sqrt[3]{x} \right) ^2 \left( \sqrt[3]{x} + 1 \right) ^5 } \, dx} \\ &= 3\int{ \left[ \frac{x}{ \left( \sqrt[3]{x} + 1 \right) ^5 } \right] \, \left[ \frac{1}{3 \left( \sqrt[3]{x} \right) ^2 } \right] \, dx} \end{align*}[/tex]

Now let [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \sqrt[3]{x} + 1 = x^{\frac{1}{3}} + 1 \implies \frac{du}{dx} = \frac{1}{3}x^{-\frac{2}{3}} \implies du = \frac{1}{3\left( \sqrt[3]{x} \right) ^2 } \, dx \end{align*}[/tex] and the integral becomes

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} 3\int{ \left[ \frac{x}{ \left( \sqrt[3]{x} + 1 \right) ^5} \right] \, \left[ \frac{1}{3 \left( \sqrt[3]{x} \right) ^2} \right] \, dx} &= 3\int{ \frac{(u - 1)^3}{u^5} \, du } \\ &= 3 \int{ \frac{u^3 - 3u^2 + 3u - 1}{u^5} \, du} \\ &= 3\int{ u^{-2 }- 3u^{-3} + 3u^{-4} - u^{-5} \, du} \end{align*}[/tex]

You should be able to integrate this now :)

Related to How can I solve this integral involving cube roots?

1. What is an integral with cube root?

An integral with cube root is a type of mathematical integral that involves a cube root function in the integrand. It is used to find the area under a curve of a function that includes a cube root term.

2. How is an integral with cube root solved?

An integral with cube root can be solved using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the integrand.

3. What are the common applications of an integral with cube root?

Integrals with cube root are often used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving volume, work, and force. They can also be used in economics and finance to analyze growth and depreciation models.

4. Are there any special properties of an integral with cube root?

One special property of an integral with cube root is that it can be rewritten as a logarithmic function. This can be useful in simplifying complex integrals and solving them more efficiently.

5. Can an integral with cube root have multiple solutions?

Yes, an integral with cube root can have multiple solutions depending on the limits of integration and the specific function being integrated. It is important to check the solution for accuracy and to consider any possible restrictions on the domain of the function.