How Can I Solve This 2D Kinematics Problem?

In summary: That's why I was confused.So you actually got the correct answer of 15.2 m for the magnitude of the rf vector.In summary, a moderate wind with a constant acceleration of (4.60 m/s2) + (7.00 m/s2) accelerates a pebble over a horizontal xy plane. At time t = 0, the pebble has a velocity of (4.4 m/s). To find the magnitude and angle of its velocity when it has been displaced by 11.5 m parallel to the x axis, we can use the equation rf = (xi + Vxit + 1/2 axt2) i + (yi + Vyit + 1/2 ayt
praecox

Homework Statement

A moderate wind accelerates a pebble over a horizontal xy plane with a constant acceleration = (4.60 m/s2) + (7.00 m/s2). At time t = 0, the velocity is (4.4 m/s). What are magnitude and angle of its velocity when it has been displaced by 11.5 m parallel to the x axis?

Homework Equations

rf = (xi + Vxit + 1/2 axt2) i + (yi + Vyit + 1/2 ayt2) j
... I think

The Attempt at a Solution

I missed a day of class due to the flu, and our textbook sucks at explaining. I think the variables should be:
ax = 4.6
ay = 7
vxi = 4.4
vyi = 0
xi = 0
yi = 0
xf = 11.5
So all I need to solve for is time, yes?
I tried to use a 1D equation to find t, since we have the Vi and xf.
I plugged the x values into:
xf - xi = Vxit + 1/2 axt2.
11.5 - 0 = 4.4t - 2.3t2
t2 + 1.91t + (0.91) = 5 + 0.91 (divided by 2.3 and then completed the square)
(t + 0.96)2 = 5.91
t + 0.96 = 2.43
t = 1.47 sec

When I plug in 1.47 as the time though, and then take the magnitude of the rf vector, I get 13.7 m, but my online homework says the answer is 15.2.

I've tried a few other equations, but I just can't seem to get it... and that's just the first half of the problem. I'm not even sure where to start to find the angle. :/

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that you changed a sign. it should be 4.4t+2.3t^2 and you wrote -2.3t^2

Oh, yes. That was just a typo. when I did the calculation, I did it with 11.5 - 0 = 4.4t + 2.3t2.

Related to How Can I Solve This 2D Kinematics Problem?

What is a "2D Kinematics Problem"?

A 2D Kinematics Problem is a type of physics problem that involves the motion of an object in two dimensions, typically described by its position, velocity, and acceleration in both the x and y directions.

What are the key concepts involved in solving a 2D Kinematics Problem?

The key concepts involved in solving a 2D Kinematics Problem include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and the use of vector components and trigonometry to analyze motion in two dimensions.

How do you approach solving a 2D Kinematics Problem?

To solve a 2D Kinematics Problem, you should first identify the given information and what is being asked in the problem. Then, break down the problem into x and y components and use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variables.

What are some common mistakes when solving 2D Kinematics Problems?

Some common mistakes when solving 2D Kinematics Problems include forgetting to consider direction, using incorrect equations, and not breaking down the problem into x and y components. It is also important to pay attention to units and use the correct units in all calculations.

What real-life applications does understanding 2D Kinematics have?

Understanding 2D Kinematics is crucial in fields such as engineering, robotics, and sports. It can be used to analyze the trajectory of a projectile, the motion of a vehicle, or the movement of an athlete. It also helps in designing and optimizing machines and structures for efficient and safe motion.