2D kinematic problem: Tennis serve

In summary: This specific problem has some simplifications that make it solvable, but I don't see a general solution for this kind of problem that is any simpler than the quadratic formula.
williamwong0402

Homework Statement

Serving at a speed of 170 km/h a tennis player hits the ball at a height of 2.5 m and an angle θ below the horizontal. The service line is 11.9 m from the net, which is 0.91 m high. What is the angle θ such that the ball just crosses the net? Will the ball land in the service box, whose out line is 6.40 m from the net? [ANS: 6. 1°]

Homework Equations

Vy2=Voy2-g(y-y0)
y=y
0+½(Vy+V0y)t
x=x0+V0xt

The Attempt at a Solution

http://blob:https://www.physicsforums.com/e28d4bae-4e89-4ed3-a5bb-353215f729f5
upload_2017-3-19_17-22-43.png

[/B]
Please let me know what is the problem in the solution.
i don't know how to find the answer [6.1°]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
v = 170 km/h or m/s?

how did you get t=0.534s? as far as I can tell, time is unknown?

you need to convert 170km/h into m/s.

from step 1, it looks like you've made the assumption that vfy=0, but there is no reason to think that the ball would have 0 velocity by the time it got to the net or floor.
Did you post a second picture below the first one that shows step 1? If you did, it's not showing, perhaps try posting it again.

Last edited:
lewando said:
v = 170 km/h or m/s?
Thank you for your reply
yes , i made a mistake , it is 170km/h

hndalama said:
how did you get t=0.534s? as far as I can tell, time is unknown?

you need to convert 170km/h into m/s.

from step 1, it looks like you've made the assumption that vfy=0, but there is no reason to think that the ball would have 0 velocity by the time it got to the net or floor.
Did you post a second picture below the first one that shows step 1? If you did, it's not showing, perhaps try posting it again.
Thank you for your reply.
the given has X=11.9m /Y=1.4m / V=170km/h g=-9.81
i don't know how can find y0y or t
i didn't, just one picture

The question is asking us to solve for θ.
First I would convert the velocity 170km/h to m/s, then resolve this into its horizontal and vertical components. They will be in terms of θ.
Then use kinematic equations and the given information to derive an equation in terms of θ. Then the plan is to solve for θ.

Last edited:
williamwong0402 said:
Y=1.4m
Is that supposed to be 2.5m-0.91m?

I'm wondering about this question also. It's a question from the OpenStax AP Physics textbook. I have two equations with two unknowns (theta and t) and I'm not sure how to proceed.

midgic said:
I'm wondering about this question also. It's a question from the OpenStax AP Physics textbook. I have two equations with two unknowns (theta and t) and I'm not sure how to proceed.
I can neither verify your equations nor suggest how to proceed without seeing them.

The initial velocity is 47.2 m/s

y-component: $$0.91 = 2.5 - 47.2*sin(\theta)*t - 4.9*t^2$$

x-component: $$11.9 = 47.2*cos(\theta)*t$$

So, we have two equations and two unknowns (theta and t), but I don't see how to proceed from here.
I would appreciate any help. Thanks a lot.

midgic said:
The initial velocity is 47.2 m/s

y-component: $$0.91 = 2.5 - 47.2*sin(\theta)*t - 4.9*t^2$$

x-component: $$11.9 = 47.2*cos(\theta)*t$$

So, we have two equations and two unknowns (theta and t), but I don't see how to proceed from here.
I would appreciate any help. Thanks a lot.
You can use the standard procedure for solving simultaneous equations: use one equation to express one unknown in terms of the other and use that to substitute for that first unknown in the other equation.
You have two equations to choose from for that first step, and two choices of which way to do the substitution. One of the four choices is easier than the others.

Thanks a lot for your reply. This is what I tried:

$$t = \frac{11.9}{47.2*cos(\theta)}$$

$$0.91 = 2.5 - 11.9*tan(\theta) - \frac{4.9*(11.9)^2}{(47.2*cos(\theta))^2}$$

But I'm not sure how to solve the final equation for theta.

midgic said:
Thanks a lot for your reply. This is what I tried:

$$t = \frac{11.9}{47.2*cos(\theta)}$$

$$0.91 = 2.5 - 11.9*tan(\theta) - \frac{4.9*(11.9)^2}{(47.2*cos(\theta))^2}$$

But I'm not sure how to solve the final equation for theta.
Good choices.
Next, it helps to know the quadratic relationship between tan and sec.

Oh, thanks for pointing this out. Then I think I can put the equation in this form:

$$a*tan^2(\theta) + b*tan(\theta) + c = 0$$

Then I would use the quadratic formula to solve for tan(theta)?
Is this the standard way to solve a question like this?
Is there not a simpler way to find theta and time t?

In any case, thanks a lot for your help.

midgic said:
Then I would use the quadratic formula to solve for tan(theta)?
Yes.
midgic said:
Is there not a simpler way to find theta and time t?
I very much doubt it.

Related to 2D kinematic problem: Tennis serve

What is a 2D kinematic problem?

A 2D kinematic problem involves analyzing the motion of an object in two dimensions, typically using equations of motion and vector analysis. In the context of a tennis serve, this would involve looking at the position, velocity, and acceleration of the ball in both the vertical and horizontal directions.

How is a tennis serve modeled as a 2D kinematic problem?

A tennis serve can be modeled as a 2D kinematic problem by breaking down the motion into its vertical and horizontal components. The vertical component is affected by gravity, while the horizontal component is affected by the initial speed and angle of the serve. By using equations of motion and vector analysis, the trajectory and velocity of the ball can be calculated.

What factors affect the trajectory of a tennis serve in a 2D kinematic problem?

The trajectory of a tennis serve in a 2D kinematic problem is affected by the initial speed and angle of the serve, as well as the force and spin applied by the player. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the trajectory.

How does the angle of the tennis racket affect the serve in a 2D kinematic problem?

The angle of the tennis racket at the moment of contact with the ball can greatly affect the trajectory of the serve. A higher angle can result in a higher ball trajectory, while a lower angle can result in a lower trajectory. The angle also determines the amount of spin applied to the ball.

How can a 2D kinematic problem be used to improve a tennis serve?

By analyzing the motion of the ball in a 2D kinematic problem, players can identify areas for improvement in their serve, such as adjusting the speed, angle, or spin of the serve. They can also use the equations of motion to predict the trajectory of the ball and aim for specific targets on the court.