How can I solve these two physics problems involving work and springs?

In summary, the conversation involves a request for hints on two problems related to physics. The first problem involves calculating the minimum work needed to push a car up a 9 degree incline, while the second problem involves calculating the speed and distance of a trampoline artist jumping from a platform. The conversation also mentions the use of a free body diagram and Newton's 2nd Law to solve the problems.
Fused
Any Hints??

I'm stuck on these 2 problems.. Any hints would be helpful!

1. What is the minimum work needed to push a 950-kg car 810m up along a 9 degree incline? a) ignore friction, b) assume the effective coefficient of a friction retarding the car is .25.

This is what I did, but I don't think it's correct... :
A) W= Fdcost = mdcost = (950)(810cos9) = 7.6 * 10^5 J.
B) Wfr= Ffr*x*cos(180+9) = .25 * 810 *cos189 = -200 J

2. A 65 kg trampoline artist jumps vertically upward from the top of a platform with a speed of 5 m/s. A) how fast is he going as he lands o nteh trampoline, 3 m below? b) if the trampoline behaves liek a sprign with spring stiffness constant 6.2 * 10 ^4 N/m how far does he depress it?
I got the a) part using .5mv^2 + mgy1 = .5mv^2 + mgy2
and found v= 9.15 m/s
b) I'm not sure which equation to use... I tried using .5mvi^2 + .5kx1^2 = .5mvf^2 + .5kx2^2 But I wasn't quite sure what to plug in, and when I tried all the different possibilities I did not get the corect answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody? Please help! I have a quiz this friday! I really need to know how to do these problems!

Fused do a Free body diagram for the body on the incline.

I did that, but I don't know how to put the information into formulas

Cyclovenom said:
Fused do a Free body diagram for the body on the i

ncline.

Use Newton's 2nd Law

[tex] \sum^{n}_{i=1} \vec{F}_{i} = m \vec{a} [/tex]

Related to How can I solve these two physics problems involving work and springs?

What is the definition of work?

Work is defined as the application of force over a distance. In scientific terms, it is calculated as the product of force and displacement.

How is work related to pushing a car up an incline?

In order to push a car up an incline, you must apply a force in the direction of the displacement. This force must overcome the force of gravity acting on the car, and the amount of work needed will depend on the magnitude of the force and the distance the car is pushed.

What factors affect the amount of work needed to push a car up an incline?

The two main factors that affect the amount of work needed are the mass of the car and the incline angle. A heavier car will require more force to be pushed up the incline, while a steeper incline will also require more force to overcome the force of gravity.

How do you calculate the minimum work needed to push a 950-kg car 810m up a 9 degree incline?

The minimum work needed can be calculated using the formula W = Fd cosθ, where W is work, F is the force applied, d is the distance, and θ is the angle of the incline. In this scenario, the force of gravity acting on the car can be calculated using the formula Fg = mg, where m is the mass of the car and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The minimum work needed to push the car up the incline would be equal to the force of gravity multiplied by the vertical displacement (d cosθ).

Can the minimum work needed to push a car up an incline be reduced?

Yes, the minimum work needed can be reduced by increasing the incline angle. This is because a steeper incline would result in a shorter horizontal displacement, which means less work would be needed to overcome the force of gravity. However, this would also require more force to be applied in a shorter distance, which may not be feasible depending on the situation.