Calculating Work on an Incline

In summary, the minimum work needed to push a 950-kg car 810m up a 9.0 degree incline, ignoring friction, is 1.18x10^6 J. Taking into account the effective coefficient of friction of 0.25, the work needed to move the car against friction is 3.04x10^6 J. However, the final answer is missing the exponent and should be 3.04x10^6 J.
Interception

Homework Statement

What is the minimum work needed to push a 950-kg car 810m up along a 9.0 degree incline? (a) Ignore friction. (b) Assume the effective coefficient of friction working against the car is 0.25.

Homework Equations

I know that W=F x displacement x cos. In the second part of the problem, Friction= effective coefficient x Normal Force. Since this is an incline problem, I believe that the Normal Force is F=m x g(9.8 m/s^2) x cos (angle of inclination).

3. The attempt at a solution For the first part of the problem, I used the height of the the hill as the displacement since the work was being done by the vertical component (I assume, could be wrong) and found the height to be around 127m. I plugged that into the equation for Work and got 1.18x10^6 J, the F I used in the equation being the weight (mass x gravity).
For the second part, I found the normal force to be around 9195 N, and for the force applied by friction, I got 2.3x10^3. I then found the work performed by friction to be around -1.86x10^6 J (negative since it is going along the negative x-axis).
To try and find the work needed to move the car against friction, I added the work value from the first, disregarding friction, and the work performed by the friction thinking that an extra amount of work equivalent to the work done by the friction was needed to counterbalance.
The final answer I got was 3.04x10^ J. I feel like this answer is waaaay off and I can't check in the back of my book as it is an even number.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interception said:
The final answer I got was 3.04x10^? J. I feel like this answer is waaaay off and I can't check in the back of my book as it is an even number.
Your method is correct, the numerical values too, but the exponent is missing from the final result.

ehild

Related to Calculating Work on an Incline

What is the formula for calculating work on an incline?

The formula for calculating work on an incline is W = mghsinθ, where W is the work done, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the incline, and θ is the angle of the incline.

How is the angle of the incline determined?

The angle of the incline can be determined by using a protractor or measuring the height and length of the incline and using the inverse tangent function (tan⁻¹) to find the angle.

What units are used to measure work?

The SI unit for work is joules (J). However, other commonly used units include foot-pounds (ft-lb) and calories (cal).

How does friction affect the calculation of work on an incline?

Friction can decrease the amount of work done on an incline because it acts in the opposite direction of motion. This means that some of the force applied to the object is being used to overcome friction instead of being used to move the object up the incline.

Can the work done on an incline be negative?

Yes, the work done on an incline can be negative if the angle of the incline is greater than 90 degrees or if the object is moving down the incline. This indicates that work is being done by the object instead of on the object.