How can I solve the integral of 1/(1+x^4) from 0 to ∞?

In summary, the conversation suggests that the integral ∫1/(1+x^4) dx from 0 to ∞ has been difficult to solve using various methods. The suggestion is to try using partial fractions or a substitution involving the derivative of the arc tangent. Another suggestion is to use contour integration and the residue theorem if familiar with that technique.
vokurka
∫1/(1+x^4) dx, from 0 to ∞

I have tried integration per partes, several different substitutions and transformation into different coordinate system but i have always only found another equivalent integral that i was not able to solve... I have also performed a numerical integration, but i need an analytical solution...
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to work out the indefinite integral with one substitution. By the way, what is the derivative of the arc tangent?

vokurka said:
∫1/(1+x^4) dx, from 0 to ∞

I have tried integration per partes, several different substitutions and transformation into different coordinate system but i have always only found another equivalent integral that i was not able to solve... I have also performed a numerical integration, but i need an analytical solution...
Thanks

Partial fractions.

vokurka said:
∫1/(1+x^4) dx, from 0 to ∞ I have tried integration per partes, several different substitutions and transformation into different coordinate system but i have always only found another equivalent integral that i was not able to solve... I have also performed a numerical integration, but i need an analytical solution...
Thanks

Hint: ##x^4 + 1 = (x^2+1)^2 - (\sqrt{2}x)^2##. Rearrange, factorise.

Then use what Ray suggested.

Try substituting ##\sqrt{u}=x##.

Edit: Sorry, this doesn't actually work. Disregard!

Last edited:
You have a definite integral. I'd suggest using contour integration and the residue theorem if you know that technique.

Related to How can I solve the integral of 1/(1+x^4) from 0 to ∞?

1. What is the general formula for the integral of 1/(1+x^4) dx?

The general formula for the integral of 1/(1+x^4) dx is ∫1/(1+x^4) dx = ∫1/((x^2+1)^2) dx.

2. Is there a closed form solution for the integral of 1/(1+x^4) dx?

Yes, there is a closed form solution for the integral of 1/(1+x^4) dx. It is ∫1/((x^2+1)^2) dx = (1/4)arctan(x/√2) + (1/8)ln((x^2-√2x+1)/(x^2+√2x+1)) + C.

3. How do I solve the integral of 1/(1+x^4) dx by hand?

To solve the integral of 1/(1+x^4) dx by hand, you can use the substitution method. Let u = x^2+1, then du = 2xdx. Substituting these into the integral results in ∫1/u^2 du = -1/u + C = -1/(x^2+1) + C.

4. Can the integral of 1/(1+x^4) dx be solved using numerical methods?

Yes, the integral of 1/(1+x^4) dx can be solved using numerical methods such as Simpson's rule, trapezoidal rule, or Romberg integration. These methods can provide an approximate solution for the integral.

5. How is the integral of 1/(1+x^4) dx related to other integrals?

The integral of 1/(1+x^4) dx is related to other integrals through the use of partial fractions and trigonometric substitutions. It can also be solved using integration by parts. Additionally, it is a special case of the more general integral of 1/(1+x^n) dx where n is any positive integer.