How Can I Solve for Coefficients in Cylindrical Acoustic Modeling?

• Thread starter FredGarvin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the person is trying to solve for the An constant in an equation involving the Hankel function, but is having trouble getting both sides of the equation to be a function of theta.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Hey guys and gals,

While this technically isn't homework, I figured this is the place to post.

I am working over a problem and I am at a point in the solution that has me a bit stumped. Perhaps someone may provide some guidance.

In acoustics, we run into the problem of a radiating body in cylindrical coordinates. Essentially, after a bit of work, I have come to the point where I am stuck in equating a body's radial velocity and the radial derivative of the velocity potential. What I have is:

[tex]C cos(\theta) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty A_n \left(\frac{\omega}{a_o} \right) H_{n+1}^{(1)} \left(\frac{\omega}{a_o} R\right) cos(n \theta)[/tex]

Where C is a constant, An is what I am trying to solve for, and H is the Hankel function of the first kind.

Now, normally I don't have both sides as a function of theta and the solving for An is pretty straight forward. However, this time it is not the case. Is there a way to somehow come up with a general solution to An that does not include the summation? I'm thinking no, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
could you do the Fourier type approach & mutiply both side by [itex] cos(m\theta) [/itex] then integrate over theta?

I am not seeing what that will do if I multiply by [tex]cos (m \theta)[/tex]. Can you elaborate a bit more on that? Thanks!

could be missing something/oversimplifying, but here's what i was thinking... directly along the lines of how you determine the Fourier co-efficients

so if I'm getting it correctly, for the purpose of evaluating the An constants, the hankel functions are effectively just a constant evaluated at the boundary r = R, so write the total coefficient as Bn for now:
[tex]C cos(\theta) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty B_n cos(n \theta)[/tex]

now, if the terms of the sum were something more like [itex] cos(n\pi \theta) [/itex], then multiplying by [itex] cos(m\pi \theta)[/itex], and integrating you get:
[tex]C \int cos(m\pi \theta) cos(\pi \theta) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty B_n \int cos(\pi n \theta)cos(m\pi \theta) [/tex]

which will cancel out pretty simply due to the orthogonal nature of the cos functions...

so maybe you can find a similar approach...

though its been a while since i done any of these, & that was only really in SL type problems & so some issues i could see:
- if the n aren't nice integers or have a clear integer difference type relationship (no longer othogonal..? is there another orthogonal set?)
- and if any of the hankel functions had zeroes at the boundary

Last edited:

Related to How Can I Solve for Coefficients in Cylindrical Acoustic Modeling?

1. How do I calculate a summation?

To calculate a summation, you need to add up all the numbers in a given sequence. The formula for a summation is ∑(n) = a1 + a2 + ... + an, where "n" is the number of terms in the sequence and "a" represents each individual term.

2. What is the purpose of using summations in scientific research?

Summations are often used in scientific research to represent the total value of a set of data. They can also help in finding patterns or trends within the data and making predictions based on those patterns.

3. How do I know when to use a summation in my calculations?

Summations are typically used when you need to add together a large number of terms in a sequence. They are also useful when dealing with series or sequences that have a specific pattern or formula.

4. Can summations be used for non-numerical data?

Yes, summations can be used for non-numerical data as long as there is a way to assign numerical values to the data. For example, letters can be assigned numerical values based on their position in the alphabet.

5. Is there a shortcut for calculating large summations?

Yes, there are several shortcuts for calculating large summations. One common shortcut is using the formula for the sum of a geometric series, which is ∑(n) = a(1-rn)/1-r, where "a" represents the first term, "r" represents the common ratio, and "n" represents the number of terms. Another shortcut is using software or calculators that have built-in summation functions.