How Can I Solve a Question on Directional Derivatives Without Knowing the Point?

• Thread starter SANGHERA.JAS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivatives
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find a directional derivative, which requires knowledge of a unit vector and a point along the direction. The problem in question asks for the directional derivative at all points, rather than at a specific point. However, the textbook answer contradicts this and suggests that there should be a specific point to solve the problem. This leads to confusion and raises the question of how to solve the problem without additional information.
SANGHERA.JAS
According to the statement(attached file) in order to find the directional derivative I must know unit vector along the direction and the point at which to find the directional derivatives. From the angle I can find out the direction (as the cosine of the angle) but not the point. Then how can I solve this question?

Your help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• For the functionf.doc
    45 KB · Views: 214
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem wants you to find the directional derivative at all points. It's like asking you what g'(x) is as opposed to g'(1). Does that make sense?

vela said:
The problem wants you to find the directional derivative at all points. It's like asking you what g'(x) is as opposed to g'(1). Does that make sense?

But the answer according to my textbook is -(1/2). Thus there should be a point.

Yes, you're right. You can't solve the problem to get that answer without additional information.

But this question was put in examination. So it must have answer

Related to How Can I Solve a Question on Directional Derivatives Without Knowing the Point?

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a type of derivative that measures the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. It is commonly used in multivariable calculus and can be thought of as the slope of a function in a certain direction.

2. How is a directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient vector of the function and a unit vector in the desired direction. This can also be written as the product of the magnitude of the gradient vector and the cosine of the angle between the gradient vector and the direction vector.

3. What is the significance of a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is significant because it allows us to understand how a function is changing in a specific direction. This can be useful in optimization problems, where we want to find the maximum or minimum value of a function in a given direction.

4. Is the directional derivative always defined?

No, the directional derivative is not always defined. It depends on the differentiability of the function at a given point and the direction in which the derivative is being calculated. If the function is not differentiable or the direction is not well-defined, then the directional derivative may not exist.

5. How can directional derivatives be used in real-world applications?

Directional derivatives have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, directional derivatives can be used to calculate the rate of change of temperature or pressure in a specific direction. In economics, they can be used to understand the rate of change of production or demand in a certain direction.