How can I simulate a helix coil with current in COMSOL Multiphysics?

In summary, the conversation is about using Comsol Multiphysics to simulate eddy currents in a damaged steel rod with a helix coil. The speaker is new to using Comsol and is having trouble modeling the coil and applying an alternating current. They are seeking guidance and help in order to support their work on eddy current testing and are open to quoting and crediting any helpful individuals in their final work.
Wanepiss
Hello !

I am using Comsol Multiphysics in order to simulate the eddy currents in a damaged/cracked steel circular rod, with a helix coil surrounded it and thus creating the alternativ magnetic field.

Actually, I am having a lot of problem in modelling it, mainly because I am new in using Comsol.

My first goal is to model the coil and put an alternativ current in it.

I managed to model a spring coil in Solidworks and import it in Comsol. But i cannot find how to put a current through the material in order to simulate the coil, like we can use it in a laboratory...

I guess, I have to do some things adding Physics, AC/DC, in the model. But what exactly ?

It would be incredible if you could help me, and guide me through my simulation. I need it in order to support my work about Eddy current testing. Of course, I would quote you as helpers and contact in my final work/report if you want.

Attachments

• Comsol1.png
    Comsol1.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,076
Engineering news on Phys.org
Up ?
Nobody can help me ?

Maybe I am not in the right section ? I saw people here talking about comsol so I posted ... but i'll see

Please ?

You should look in a COMSOL modeling forum for the answers. There may not be anyone here who can help you.

Related to How can I simulate a helix coil with current in COMSOL Multiphysics?

1. What is COMSOL and how does it work?

COMSOL is a multiphysics simulation software that allows scientists and engineers to model and simulate physical phenomena. It works by using finite element analysis (FEA) to discretize the problem into smaller elements, and then uses numerical methods to solve for the behavior of these elements based on the given physics and boundary conditions.

2. What is a coil with current in the context of COMSOL?

A coil with current is a common type of electromagnetic device that can be modeled and simulated using COMSOL. It consists of a wire wound into a spiral or helix shape, through which an electric current flows. This creates a magnetic field that can be used for various applications such as electromagnets, inductors, and transformers.

3. What are the key parameters to consider when modeling a coil with current in COMSOL?

The key parameters to consider when modeling a coil with current in COMSOL include the geometry of the coil, the material properties of the wire used, the magnitude and direction of the current, and the surrounding medium in which the coil is placed. These parameters will affect the behavior and performance of the coil, so they must be accurately defined in the simulation.

4. What are some common applications of modeling a coil with current in COMSOL?

Modeling a coil with current in COMSOL can be used in various applications, such as designing and optimizing electromagnetic devices, studying the behavior of electromagnetic fields, and predicting the performance of circuits and systems that use coils. It can also be used in research and development for new coil designs and applications.

5. What are some advantages of using COMSOL for modeling a coil with current?

One of the main advantages of using COMSOL for modeling a coil with current is its ability to couple multiple physics, such as electromagnetic fields and heat transfer, in a single simulation. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of the coil and its interactions with the surrounding environment. COMSOL also offers a user-friendly interface and a wide range of built-in tools and features that make it easier and more efficient to model and analyze complex systems.