How can I reduce friction in my sliding elevator design?

In summary, the student is looking for a way to reduce the friction between the metal sliding plate and vertical rods it slides on.
EpiGen
I am a third year chemical engineering student and don't have much experience in the mechanical stream so I was hoping someone here could help me.

At the moment I have an apparatus that consists of a sheet of metal with four syringes sticking through (metal sheet is horizontal, syringes are vertical with plungers sticking up.) I need to be able to push these syringes down at the same speed (each will have the same substance inside.) I am thinking of a way to make an elevator that I can put weights on top of (to increase/decrease speed) - it would essentially be a second sheet of metal that rests horizontally on top of the plungers with metal rods on each side that it can slide on (there will be holes on each side of the sliding plate.) I was trying to think of a way that I could have two metal rods on each side of the plate and the metal would slide down and remain level. However, when I make the whole into the sheet and test the sliding down the metal rod it happens in jerks because of friction, and I need it to move smoothly.

(Hope what I wrote above makes sense)

So, overall, I'm trying to think of a way to reduce this friction between the sliding plate and the two vertical rods it slides on. Or if there's a better way to do this - I'm all ears!

Another thing, does anyone know of a lubricant that works well between two metal surfaces?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you are describing is essentially a "die plate" as used in a hydraulic press for stamping/punching/forming sheet metal.
Wiki has a photo of one, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_(manufacturing ).
The catalog (PDF) at the following website shows the various components, such as bushings and linear bearings: http://www.lempco.com/products.html

Probably would not be too difficult to use commonly available bushings or bearings to replicate the function of a die plate for your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How can I reduce friction in my sliding elevator design?

What is the purpose of designing a level elevator?

The purpose of designing a level elevator is to provide a safe and efficient means of transportation between different levels of a building. It allows people and goods to be transported easily and quickly, without the need for climbing stairs.

What are the key factors to consider when designing a level elevator?

When designing a level elevator, it is important to consider factors such as the building's height and layout, the expected number of users, the maximum weight capacity, safety features, and energy efficiency.

What are the different types of level elevators?

There are several types of level elevators, including hydraulic elevators, traction elevators, machine room-less elevators, and pneumatic elevators. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different building types and purposes.

What safety measures should be taken into account when designing a level elevator?

Safety is a crucial aspect of designing a level elevator. Some important safety measures include emergency stop buttons, overloading protection, fire safety features, and regular maintenance and inspections.

How can energy efficiency be incorporated into the design of a level elevator?

There are several ways to make a level elevator more energy-efficient. These include using energy-efficient motors and controllers, incorporating regenerative braking technology, and ensuring proper insulation and ventilation in the elevator shaft.