How can I prove that the product of two periodic functions also has a period P?

In summary, to prove that if f(x) and g(x) both have period P, then f(x)*g(x) also has period P, we can use the definition of a periodic function, which states that f(x+P)=f(x) for all x. We can show that f(x+nP)*g(x+nP) will also equal f(x)g(x), which means that the period of f(x)*g(x) is also P. It is not necessary for f(x) and g(x) to equal their respective Fourier series for this proof to work.
Warr
I am trying to prove that if f(x) and g(x) both have period P, then f(x)*g(x) also has period P.

What I tried to do was let f(x) and g(x) be represented as Fourier series

[tex]f(x)=a_{0,1}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left[a_{n,1}cos(\frac{2{\pi}n}{P}x)+b_{n,1}sin(\frac{2{\pi}n}{P}x)\right][/tex]
[tex]g(x)=a_{0,2}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left[a_{n,2}cos(\frac{2{\pi}n}{P}x)+b_{n,2}sin(\frac{2{\pi}n}{P}x)\right][/tex]

I then tried to multiply the right side of these 2 equations and then manipulate it to look like a Fourier series with constants [tex]a_{0,3},a_{n,3},b_{n_3}[/tex]. Multiplying it out became problematic when the last term became a product of two series:

[tex]\left(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left[a_{n,1}cos(\frac{2{\pi}n}{P}x)+b_{n,1}sin(\frac{2{\pi}n}{P}x)\right]\right)*\left(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left[a_{n,2}cos(\frac{2{\pi}n}{P}x)+b_{n,2}sin(\frac{2{\pi}n}{P}x)\right]\right)[/tex]

Is there any easy way to simplify this...If not, is there a better strategy for approaching this problem? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's much much easier than that. A function f is periodic if f(x+P)=f(x) for all x, where P is the period. Use that definition.

f and g don't necessarily equal their Fourier series. A periodic function can be very nasty. Just take the worst function you can think of on the unit interval and extend it to the real line to make a nasty function of period 1.

This is overly complicated in any case! This problem follows directly from the definition of periodic, what is f(x+nP)*g(x+nP) for an integer n?

Hmm... I think that depends on your definition of period. You can show that f(x + nP) * g(x + nP) = f(x) g(x) but to me that doesn't necessarily mean that the period is P, only that the period is at most P. A recent example on these forums was sin x cos x where each has period 2pi but their product, namely 1/2 sin 2x, has period pi. Would you say that the period is pi implies that the period is also 2pi, 3pi, etc.? It seems like an odd phrasing to me.

so then would an appropriate 'proof' be:

f(x)=f(x+nP), g(x)=g(x+nP)

h(x)=f(x)g(x)
h(x+nP)=f(x+nP)g(x+nP)
h(x+nP)=f(x)g(x)=h(x)

hence h(x) is also periodic with a period of P

Warr, that looks fine.

0rthodontist said:
Would you say that the period is pi implies that the period is also 2pi, 3pi, etc.?

Yes, I would. It's convenient to have your definitions set up so you don't have to worry that you have the minimal period and still be able to say your function has period P if that's all your require for whatever you are doing.

Oh, okay. .

Related to How can I prove that the product of two periodic functions also has a period P?

1. What is a periodic function?

A periodic function is a mathematical function that repeats its values in regular intervals or periods. This means that the function will have the same output for certain input values and will continue to repeat this pattern indefinitely.

2. How do you prove that a function is periodic?

To prove that a function is periodic, you need to show that it repeats its values at regular intervals. This can be done by finding a specific period for the function, such as the distance between two peaks or troughs on a graph. If this distance remains the same for all intervals, then the function is periodic.

3. What is the period of a periodic function?

The period of a periodic function is the distance between two consecutive repetitions of the function's values. This can also be thought of as the length of one complete cycle of the function.

4. Can a function be both periodic and non-periodic?

No, a function cannot be both periodic and non-periodic. A function is either periodic, meaning it repeats its values at regular intervals, or non-periodic, meaning it does not have a repeating pattern.

5. How can you use the graph of a function to prove it is periodic?

The graph of a periodic function will have a repeating pattern, with peaks and troughs that occur at regular intervals. By analyzing the graph and identifying a specific period, you can prove that the function is periodic. Additionally, you can also use the behavior of the function at certain points to prove its periodicity, such as showing that the function's values repeat themselves after a certain number of iterations.