How can I make my sigmas more noticeable in my LaTeX paper?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Dahaka14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Sigma
In summary, the person is trying to write a paper and is having trouble making their sigmas boldface using LaTeX. They have tried using \mathbf{\sigma} and {\bf \sigma} but it is not working. They are using \vec{\sigma} as a temporary fix but want all of their vectors to be consistent. The solution is to use the LaTeX package amsbsy and use $\boldsymbol\sigma$. Another suggestion is to use \renewcommand\vec[1]{\ensuremath\boldsymbol{#1}} in the preamble of the document to make all vectors boldface.
Dahaka14

Homework Statement

I am trying to write a paper describing my undergraduate research and its progress to a committee. I am having trouble making my sigmas boldface using LaTeX. I am using the correct coding, because it is working when I wish to type other vectors, but the sigmas look the same whether I type \mathbf{\sigma} or {\bf \sigma}. My temporary fix is to just put an arrow above with \vec{\sigma}, but I don't want to be inconsistent with my other vectors being boldface. What can I do to make the boldface of my sigmas more noticeable?

Homework Equations

\mathbf{\sigma} or {\bf \sigma}?

The Attempt at a Solution

i guess \vec{\sigma}

Physics news on Phys.org
Try simply \bold{\sigma}

You need the LaTeX package amsbsy (or amsmath). Put

\usepackage{amsbsy}

near the top of your document, and then use $\boldsymbol\sigma$.

thanks a lot!

And if you want to make all your vectors boldface, I suggest something like

\renewcommand\vec[1]{\ensuremath\boldsymbol{#1}}

in the preamble of your document and just use \vec everywhere. If you later decide that boldface is not distinctive enough and you want arrows after all, it will save you a lot of work.

Related to How can I make my sigmas more noticeable in my LaTeX paper?

1. What is the "Boldface Sigma LaTeX Problem"?

The "Boldface Sigma LaTeX Problem" refers to the issue of displaying a bolded sigma symbol in LaTeX documents. This symbol is commonly used in mathematics and statistics, but it can be difficult to display correctly in bold font.

2. Why is it difficult to display a bolded sigma symbol in LaTeX?

LaTeX uses a specific font encoding system for displaying characters, and not all fonts have a bold version of the sigma symbol included. This can make it challenging to display the symbol in bold font without using a workaround.

3. What are some solutions to the "Boldface Sigma LaTeX Problem"?

One solution is to use a different font that has a bold version of the sigma symbol. Another solution is to use the \boldsymbol command in LaTeX, which will render the symbol in bold font. Additionally, some LaTeX packages, such as amsmath, provide their own commands for displaying bolded symbols.

4. Can the "Boldface Sigma LaTeX Problem" be solved for all fonts?

No, unfortunately not all fonts have a bold version of the sigma symbol. In this case, the best solution would be to use a different font or a LaTeX package that provides a workaround.

5. Are there any other common LaTeX formatting issues related to symbols?

Yes, there are a few other common issues related to displaying symbols in LaTeX. These include incorrect spacing between symbols, inconsistent font sizes, and symbols not displaying correctly in certain environments. It is important to carefully check and adjust the formatting of symbols in LaTeX to ensure they are displayed correctly.