How can I make a word appear on a canvas using paint and water?

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving a cool word appearing on a canvas through the use of paint and water. The ideas suggested include using an invisible chemical that reacts with water, or using a morphing program to create a dripping effect from a line to the letters.
hoodleehoo
cool word appearing in paint project

I'm doing a video and I thought it'd be cool to make a specific word appear on a canvas. My idea was to give the illusion that I brushed a horizontal line of paint on the top of the canvas and the paint runs down the canvas forming the word (in an eerie type of way).

My initial thought was some kind of invisible chemical that turns a vivid color when mixed with water, so the chemical would be brushed on the canvas in the form of the word (and the running paint). Instead of paint being brushed onto it, water would actually be.

Not sure if that would work or not. The other idea was to do it with something brushed in the negative space of the canvas that would repel the paint, keeping it confined to the pattern.

What do you think? Any ideas how to achieve it? :)

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I remember paint books that used micronized watercolor pigments and only needed to be brushed with water to dissolve and 'magically' produce colors.

I suggest using a morphing program to generate the intermediate frames from a line to the letters dripping.

You can do it left to right, then rotate the result 90 degrees to get top to bottom.

Related to How can I make a word appear on a canvas using paint and water?

1. How does paint by water work?

Paint by water is a type of paint that is activated and applied using water. The paint pigments are suspended in a water-based solution, and when water is added, the pigments are released and can be applied to a surface.

2. What is the difference between paint by water and traditional paint?

The main difference is that paint by water does not require the use of any additional solvents or chemicals to activate the pigments. It is also easier to clean up, as it can be washed away with water.

3. Is paint by water safe to use?

Yes, paint by water is generally considered to be a safe and non-toxic option for painting. However, it is always recommended to read the safety instructions and warnings provided by the manufacturer before use.

4. Can paint by water be used on any surface?

Paint by water is designed to be used on paper and other porous surfaces. It may not adhere well to non-porous surfaces such as glass or metal. It is always best to test a small area before painting the entire surface.

5. How do I remove paint by water from my skin or clothing?

As the name suggests, paint by water can be easily removed with water. For clothing, rinse the affected area with cold water and then wash with soap. For skin, simply wash with soap and water. Avoid using hot water, as it can cause the paint to set.