How can i make a simple and practical particle accelerator.

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of building a particle accelerator. While the person was interested in creating a simple and attractive accelerator, they were advised to first research and understand the dangers and complexities involved. Suggestions were given for alternative methods to experiment with particle acceleration, such as using static electricity or an electric welder. Overall, particle accelerators are widely used in technology and can come in various forms.
Chris_Papan
Hallo everyone! I would like to make a small and simple particle accelerator that a) looks good and b) works. So if you could guys help me i would apriciate it alot!

Thanks in advance.
Christos Papanikolaou

Physics news on Phys.org
Just buy a CRT tube and play with it (it IS an accelerator!). Beyond that, you do not have the expertise, capability, knowledge, and financial resources to build a "particle accelerator".

If you do a search in the Classical Physics forum for "accelerator", you will encounter numerous threads already on this exact topic. Most of these, if not all, ended up being locked because the OP had grandiose ideas of building something complicated without realizing how dangerous it can be.

Zz.

For what it is worth,

Here is a simple and cheap way to make a particle accelerator. It satisfies condition b) and depending upon how dapper of a guy you are condition a) can also be satisfied.
On a dry day, walk on a carpet, and go touch a doorknob. Voila! A simple particle accelerator.
While you might think this is ( not hilarious ) , here are some technological uses for this type of physics:
http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/static_uses.htm#.U2TwpWd3sdU

Another method to experiment with a particle accelerator is to go out and buy an electric welder and learn how to weld. When welding you will using a low voltage, high current particle accelerator that has the ability to melt metal, ionize the air, produce ultraviolet rays,...

Particle accelerators are commonplace in our technology, and not all of them are as sophisticated as CERN, nor are all of the type designated as Atom Smashers.

Related to How can i make a simple and practical particle accelerator.

1. How does a particle accelerator work?

A particle accelerator works by using electromagnetic fields to accelerate charged particles to high speeds. These particles are then directed into a beam and collided with a target, producing a variety of subatomic particles that can be studied by scientists.

2. What materials do I need to build a particle accelerator?

Building a particle accelerator requires a variety of materials, including strong magnets, vacuum tubes, and high-voltage power supplies. The exact materials needed will depend on the type and size of the accelerator you are trying to build.

3. Can I build a particle accelerator at home?

While it is possible to build a small particle accelerator at home, it is not recommended due to the complexity and potential hazards involved. It is best to work with a team of experts in a well-equipped laboratory to build a safe and effective particle accelerator.

4. How much does it cost to build a particle accelerator?

The cost of building a particle accelerator can vary greatly depending on the type and size of the accelerator, as well as the resources and materials available to you. Large, professional accelerators can cost millions or even billions of dollars to build.

5. What are some practical applications of particle accelerators?

Particle accelerators have a wide range of practical applications, including medical treatments such as cancer therapy, industrial processes like radiation sterilization, and scientific research in fields such as high-energy physics, material science, and nuclear physics.