How Can I Land a Job in Area 51 as a Physicist?

In summary, if you want to work at Groom Lake or Area 51, you will need to become a US citizen and obtain a US security clearance. These places are highly secretive and those who work there are not allowed to discuss their work with anyone outside of their work hierarchy. For those interested in working in the aerospace field, a large aerospace firm such as Arianespace may be a good alternative, where one can still work on exciting projects and potentially share their experiences with others.
physics user1
Area 51, how do i get a job in area 51 as a physicist? Misterious places like groom lake are really attractive, I know it could look like a silly question but for sure someone works there, and I would like to know how they did.
What kind of specialization and path would I need to get there? (Theoretical physics would be fine?)

I'm in Europe, can I aspire to that? What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, there aren't many ways to get in, but forget about theoretical physics. Area 51 is all about reverse engineering. People are recruited from a small program in the midwestern US. It's a highly selective program, and you need a basic level of security clearance just for admission. The link is:
[link deleted]

Hold on. There are a couple of guys in black suits at my door...

Likes billy_joule and Vanadium 50
If you want to work at Area 51, you'll need to become a fictional character, because it is fictional.
If you want to work at Groom Lake, you'll need to become a US citizen.

All silly conspiracy stories aside, Groom Lake is where the US Department of Defense conducts tests of secret aircraft technologies. For example, they were instrumental in the "Have Blue" testing program that later became the F-117 Nighthawk stealth fighter aircraft.

Usually such places are only open to those with US security clearances. Such clearances are only rarely issued to foreign nationals. Citizenship in the US is usually a requirement.

Having been at the Naval Research Lab as a student intern decades ago, I can tell you that the US Military is very serious about keeping secret things secret. Frankly, I detested the security clearance bureaucracy so much that I went to work somewhere else. There is no glamour working in such places because you can't discuss it with anyone outside of your immediate work hierarchy --not even your spouse. Going to a bar with friends or a cocktail party, you can't say anything about what you do on the job --not even incidental irrelevant stuff to the projects you work on.

So what happens at Groom Lake pretty much has to stay at Groom Lake. Were I in your your shoes, I might seek work with a large aerospace firm such as Arianespace. You'll get all of the thrill, and there is even a fighting chance that you can brag a little about how, yes, you really are a rocket scientist.

Likes StatGuy2000, russ_watters and physics user1
JakeBrodskyPE said:
All silly conspiracy stories aside, Groom Lake is where the US Department of Defense conducts tests of secret aircraft technologies. For example, they were instrumental in the "Have Blue" testing program that later became the F-117 Nighthawk stealth fighter aircraft.

Usually such places are only open to those with US security clearances. Such clearances are only rarely issued to foreign nationals. Citizenship in the US is usually a requirement.

Having been at the Naval Research Lab as a student intern decades ago, I can tell you that the US Military is very serious about keeping secret things secret. Frankly, I detested the security clearance bureaucracy so much that I went to work somewhere else. There is no glamour working in such places because you can't discuss it with anyone outside of your immediate work hierarchy --not even your spouse. Going to a bar with friends or a cocktail party, you can't say anything about what you do on the job --not even incidental irrelevant stuff to the projects you work on.

So what happens at Groom Lake pretty much has to stay at Groom Lake. Were I in your your shoes, I might seek work with a large aerospace firm such as Arianespace. You'll get all of the thrill, and there is even a fighting chance that you can brag a little about how, yes, you really are a rocket scientist.

Thanks for the answer and the advice ☺

Cozma Alex said:
Area 51, how do i get a job in area 51 as a physicist?
I doubt there are any physics jobs there - it's an air force base where they test new aircraft. So your best bets would be aerospace engineering or air forcer pilot (or better yet, both at the same time).
...I know it could look like a silly question but for sure someone works there, and I would like to know how they did.
Read "Skunk Works" by the director of the Lockheed Skunk Works during the development of the F-117. He talks a lot about it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0316743003/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I'm in Europe, can I aspire to that? What should I do?
That's likely to be a problem. I think you need US citizenship in order to be granted the required security clearance.

Likes physics user1
Vanadium 50 said:
If you want to work at Area 51, you'll need to become a fictional character, because it is fictional.
"Area 51" was just a tag for a random piece of land on a government owned property. It is an obsolete designation, but not fictional.

russ_watters said:
It is an obsolete designation, but not fictional.

Yes, but what people think is there is entirely fictional.

Likes StatGuy2000 and russ_watters
russ_watters said:
I doubt there are any physics jobs there - it's an air force base where they test new aircraft. So your best bets would be aerospace engineering or air forcer pilot (or better yet, both at the same time).

Read "Skunk Works" by the director of the Lockheed Skunk Works during the development of the F-117. He talks a lot about it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0316743003/?tag=pfamazon01-20

That's likely to be a problem. I think you need US citizenship in order to be granted the required security clearance.
Thanks ☺

Related to How Can I Land a Job in Area 51 as a Physicist?

1. What are the qualifications required for a government job in [specific field]?

The qualifications for a government job in [specific field] vary depending on the position and level. Generally, a minimum educational requirement is a bachelor's degree in a related field. Some positions may also require specific certifications or licenses.

2. How do I apply for a government job in [specific field]?

The application process for government jobs in [specific field] typically involves filling out an online application, submitting a resume and cover letter, and providing any required documents such as transcripts or certifications. Some positions may also require taking a civil service exam.

3. What benefits are offered in a government job in [specific field]?

Government jobs in [specific field] often come with a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, retirement plans, paid time off, and other perks. Specific benefits may vary depending on the agency and level of the position.

4. How competitive is the job market for government jobs in [specific field]?

The competitiveness of the job market for government jobs in [specific field] can vary depending on the agency and location. Some positions may have a high demand and fierce competition, while others may have a lower demand and less competition. It is always recommended to stay updated on job openings and apply as early as possible.

5. What is the salary range for a government job in [specific field]?

The salary range for government jobs in [specific field] can vary depending on the position, level, and location. Generally, government jobs offer competitive salaries and may also include annual salary increases based on performance. It is best to research the specific job posting or agency for more information on salary range.