How Can I Isolate RS-422 Communication in My Arduino Project?

In summary: ADM2481EIn summary, the optocoupler solution for RS-422 lines is a bit pricey, but may be the best option if you already have power available on the isolated side.
Liad
Hi!

I'm currently using SN75179BP to convert RS-422 communication to UART, allowing communication from my Arduino to an RS-422 device.

I need to isolate that device from my arduino+driver/receiver circuit.
Does anyone know a good optocoupler solution for RS-422 lines?
any already-isolated driver/receiver pair?

Thank you,
Liad.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Liad said:
Hi!

I'm currently using SN75179BP to convert RS-422 communication to UART, allowing communication from my Arduino to an RS-422 device.

I need to isolate that device from my arduino+driver/receiver circuit.
Does anyone know a good optocoupler solution for RS-422 lines?
any already-isolated driver/receiver pair?

Thank you,
Liad.

Is it really RS-422, and not RS-232 or RS-485 comm?

I did a Google search, and got some good hits. You might check out BlackBox Corporation -- they make lots of converters, including optoisolated ones:

http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Results.aspx/Datacom/n-4294962623

I've had some success with optoisolated RS232 to RS485 and RS422 modules from Serial Comm:
http://www.serialcomm.com/

However, instead of the full 57.6 kbps, I was only able to reliably get about 19.2 kbps. This was probably because I was using a COTS USB to RS232 converter--instead of the standard +/- 15V RS232 levels, they're usually only about +/- 5V, probably impacting both the energy harvesting (and hence, optoisolator rise/fall times) and the differential output. The caveat will probably also apply if you're using a MAX232.

Since I needed faster speed and better reliability, I ended up rolling my own (galvanically isolated) high-speed USB to RS422/485 based around the Analog Devices' ADM2582E (16 Mbps) / ADM2587E (500 kbps) chip. It's a little pricey ($10 - 14 a pop at DigiKey) but does both signal and power isolation (meaning you don't need a power transformer / rectifier / converter). If you need to power other ICs, there's an even more expensive version that allows you to pull 50 mA or so.

If you already have power available on the isolated side, you can get a slightly cheaper one that handles RS485 only (ADM2481E or ADM2483E) or RS422/485 (ADM2484E).

Note that all of the above ICs only come in surface-mount format (but on the upside, there's standard 16 or 20-pin 0.050" spaced SOIC-W, 0.300" wide--easily-sourced breakout boards if you need something for prototyping).

Hello Liad,

Thank you for sharing your project with us. Isolating RS-422 communication is a common practice in many applications to protect sensitive devices and circuits from potential damage.

One option for isolating RS-422 communication is to use an optocoupler. Optocouplers are semiconductor devices that use light to transfer electrical signals between circuits, providing electrical isolation. You can use an optocoupler specifically designed for RS-422 communication, such as the HCPL-7840 or ISO7840, which have high-speed data transmission capabilities and can handle high voltages.

Another option is to use an already-isolated driver/receiver pair, such as the MAX3485 or ADM2483, which have built-in isolation barriers and can handle RS-422 communication.

It is important to carefully select and test your isolation solution to ensure it meets your specific needs and provides adequate protection for your circuits. I recommend consulting with a trusted electronics supplier or engineer for further guidance on selecting the best solution for your project.

Best of luck with your project!

Sincerely,

Related to How Can I Isolate RS-422 Communication in My Arduino Project?

1. What is isolated RS-422 communication?

Isolated RS-422 communication refers to a method of transmitting data between two devices using the RS-422 communication standard. Isolation in this context means that the communication signals are electrically separated from each other, providing protection against electrical interference and potential damage to the devices.

2. How does isolated RS-422 communication differ from non-isolated communication?

In non-isolated communication, the devices share a common ground, which can lead to electrical noise and interference. Isolated RS-422 communication, on the other hand, uses optocouplers or transformers to provide electrical isolation between the devices, ensuring more reliable and accurate data transmission.

3. What are the advantages of using isolated RS-422 communication?

Isolated RS-422 communication offers several advantages, including improved signal integrity, increased noise immunity, and protection against ground loops and voltage spikes. It also allows for longer transmission distances and the ability to connect multiple devices without interference.

4. In what applications is isolated RS-422 communication commonly used?

Isolated RS-422 communication is often used in industrial and commercial applications where reliable and accurate data transmission is crucial. This includes industries such as manufacturing, aerospace, and telecommunications, as well as in medical equipment and military systems.

5. Can any device be used in isolated RS-422 communication?

In order for isolated RS-422 communication to work, both devices must have RS-422 communication capability. This means that they must have the necessary hardware and software to transmit and receive data using the RS-422 standard. Most modern devices have this capability, but it is important to check before attempting isolated RS-422 communication.