How can I interpret an ambiguous email from my boss?

• Thread starter Office_Shredder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Email
In summary, the email conversation has gone like this: An employee is asked to come by next week on either Thursday or Friday in the morning. The employee assumes the boss wants them to come by next week on one of these days and replies with a date that is better for them. The boss ignores the reply and tells the employee to come the next day of this week which is also better for the employee.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
An email conversation has gone like this:

A: Can you come by sometime next week?
B: I'm free Thursday or Friday
C: "Can you stop by in the morning?"

OK, does that mean he wants me to come by next Thursday or Friday in the morning, or is he separately asking me to stop by tomorrow?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you ask them to clarify?

I did but it's late and this is a past ditch effort to get some insight into whether I need to replan my day tomorrow.

Office_Shredder said:
I did but it's late and this is a past ditch effort to get some insight into whether I need to replan my day tomorrow.
:-p

Office_Shredder said:
OK, does that mean he wants me to come by next Thursday or Friday in the morning, or is he separately asking me to stop by tomorrow?
Since he already referenced next week, I'm pretty sure he meant next week in the morning.

That conversation seems like the classic situation where nobody wants to blink first and actually make a decision.

It's also a classic situation where making any decision, quickly, is better than taking for ever trying to make the "right" or "best" decision.

Just tell him which you are going to stop by on Thursday morning next week (Or Friday morning, if you prefer). If he doesn't like that, he'll tell you!

The question is "Are you going to come by next week , either Thurs or Fri, in the morning? He is implying another choice should you prefer to come by next week, either Thurs of Fri, in the afternoon ?"

The moral of the story is never ask, just assume. Apparently he meant next Thursday/Friday, but since I have so much free time that I can meet with him tomorrow, I should do that so he can dump a bunch of work on me.

I agree with AlephZero. Pick the date within the constraints. Next week Thursday or Friday, pick the day that's best for you. Send your boss the date and progress from thither.

Yeah, that means in the morning of the days you said you were available. Seems unreasonable to ask what day you could come by the next week, and then ignore your answer and tell you to come the very next day of this week.

leroyjenkens said:
Yeah, that means in the morning of the days you said you were available. Seems unreasonable to ask what day you could come by the next week, and then ignore your answer and tell you to come the very next day of this week.

Have you never worked for a boss?

With some bosses, the first mistake would be to reply to their e-mail. The better option would be to tag the e-mail as junk mail.

Or do what I did once and set your e-mail to list your e-mail's from earliest received to last received. Except, actually, that was an accident and I spent the next few days trying to figure out why everyone was getting e-mails except me. But it did give me a new excuse I could save in my pocket for those times when I didn't want to receive an e-mail from someone.

Related to How can I interpret an ambiguous email from my boss?

1. What should I do if I receive an ambiguous email?

If you receive an ambiguous email, the first step is to carefully read and understand the content of the email. Pay attention to the language used and try to identify any potential hidden meanings or intentions. If you are still unsure, you can reply to the email and ask for clarification.

2. How can I avoid sending ambiguous emails?

To avoid sending ambiguous emails, it is important to be clear and concise in your communication. Use specific language and avoid using vague or open-ended statements. It can also be helpful to proofread your email before sending it to ensure that your message is clear and easily understood.

3. What are some common examples of ambiguous language in emails?

Some common examples of ambiguous language in emails include using sarcasm or humor that may be misinterpreted, using vague pronouns like "it" or "that", and using non-specific phrases like "as soon as possible" or "in a timely manner". It is important to be aware of these potential pitfalls when writing emails.

4. How can I respond to an ambiguous email without causing conflict?

If you receive an ambiguous email and are unsure how to respond without causing conflict, it is best to reply politely and ask for clarification. Avoid making assumptions or jumping to conclusions, and try to remain calm and professional in your response.

5. Is it ever appropriate to use ambiguous language in emails?

In some situations, using ambiguous language in emails can be appropriate, such as when you are trying to be diplomatic or when you are intentionally leaving room for negotiation. However, it is important to use caution and consider the potential impact of your words before using ambiguous language in an email.