How Can I Improve My Marks for Graduate School?

• Thread starter michael.wes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Marks
In summary, the speaker received their grades for the fall term and is worried about their chances for graduate school. They ask for others' perspectives on whether improving their grades in pure math courses and taking more than five courses a term would help their transcript. Another speaker advises them to take a regular course load and focus on improving their grades, while also having a realistic understanding of what constitutes a good score.
michael.wes
Gold Member
Hi all,

I recently got my grades back for the fall term, and I already knew they wouldn't be very good by the way the exams went (74 in rings/fields, 80 in real analysis/metric spaces). I'm worried that they will impact my chances for graduate school, and I am wondering about other people's perspective on this. Will it suffice to just better my grades from now on in my pure math courses? Do you think taking more than five courses in a term and doing well would help how my transcript looks?

Thanks for any and all replies!

MW

Physics news on Phys.org
If you take more courses and *don't* do well, then you are totally hosed.

Take a regular load, just do *much* better. Figure out why you didn't get good marks, and remedy this. That's the way out...

TMFKAN64 said:
Take a regular load, just do *much* better. Figure out why you didn't get good marks, and remedy this. That's the way out...

Also have a realistic notion of what constitutes a good score. Depending on how they grade, 74% and 80% might be a high score, or not.

Related to How Can I Improve My Marks for Graduate School?

What are some strategies for making up for lousy marks?

1. Understand the reasons for your lousy marks: Before you can come up with a plan to improve your marks, it's important to identify the reasons for your poor performance. Are you struggling with a specific subject or concept? Are you not managing your time effectively?

2. Communicate with your teachers: Reach out to your teachers and ask for their feedback on your performance. They may be able to provide you with specific areas to focus on or offer extra help outside of class.

3. Create a study schedule: Develop a study schedule that allows you to dedicate enough time to each subject. Make sure to include breaks and stick to your schedule to improve your time management skills.

4. Seek additional resources: If you're struggling with a specific subject, seek out additional resources such as tutoring, online resources, or study groups. These can provide you with extra support and help clarify difficult concepts.

5. Stay motivated and consistent: Improving your marks takes time and effort. Stay motivated and consistent in your studies, and don't get discouraged if you don't see immediate results. Keep working hard and you will see improvements over time.