How can I improve my English for GRE and TOEFL exams?

• Thread starter jd12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary: I'm actually Belgian.In summary, trying to learn the meaning of thousands of words by rote is not very efficient. English has between 500,000 and 800,000 words depending on how you define an English word. Learning within the context of the language itself is the best way to master English. There's enough difference between British and American English where you might want to decide which version you want to master. It's not either-or, but both GRE and real world practice are important for success. As always, I will defer to anything that Monique has to say. She's PF's language guru.
jd12345
Hello - I am from India and my first language is Hindi and second English.
I want to improve my English as I sometimes find myself short of words and I am not that fluent. Also after my college I'll give exams like GRE and TOEFL so I need to improve my English for a good score.
My question is -How do I improve my English? Should I study those GRE books and learn meaning of thousands of words OR should I read books and try to converse in English as much as possible?

I feel that if I prepare from those GRE books I'll score good in those tests but I won't really improve my English communication and speaking skills. On the other hand if I try to read books and other things it won't help me score good.

I will be starting college now so I have like four years for those tests.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well your writing doesn't indicate any obvious lack of fluency. As with any language, total immersion is probably the best way to master English, especially for the fine points of phrasing. There's enough difference between British and American English where you might want to decide which version you want to master. Where do you intend to use your English? For example, if you're interested in reading and possibly writing for science journals or popular magazines, reading these regularly is beneficial. I understand English is the main "bridge" language in India, so I would think there are radio and TV broadcasts in the language and opportunities for total immersion in India. However, I would warn you about the internet. Netspeak "English" probably will not help you in academic or business circles.

EDIT: Trying to learn the meaning of thousands of words by rote is not very efficient. English has between 500,000 and 800,000 words depending on how you define an English word. Common conversation typically employs 5,000-10,000 words. Even the vocabularies of well educated people rarely exceed 30-40,000 words and they are best learned within the context of the language itself rather than always trying to translate them into your native language.

Last edited:
I think a good way to get better at English would be to, in your spare time, post on English forums, responding to other people as much as possible. If that doesn't directly translate to speaking English, then maybe reading their posts out loud and then reading your responses out loud would help.

I believe going through as many GRE books as possible will give you a good score in the exam. Daily conversational English appears to be different from what they test in the GRE exams.

Reading a lot can also enhance your reading and vocabulary skills.

OR should I read books and try to converse in English as much as possible?

i think you'll make 10X the progress that way.

jim hardy said:
i think you'll make 10X the progress that way.

I agree, but preparing for the written exam is also important so that the fine points of grammar are understood even though they may not always be observed in common speech. For example: "My boss gave the keys to my friend and me." not "...my friend and I." although a lot of native speakers would choose the latter as proper English.

In other words, it's not either-or, but both GRE and real world practice. You need to pass your exams, but that alone doesn't mean you can actually use the language effectively.

I have no idea as to what various tests might want. Total immersion is the best for learning to communicate verbally in a given culture. That is vastly different than written messages. You seem to have a pretty good handle on the latter.
Not one single person that I know, including me, uses proper grammar when speaking to each other. (Aside from "public speaking", which is a different matter.) Most don't use it when writing, either, although I try to.
As always, I will defer to anything that Monique has to say. She's PF's language guru. (It's rather embarrassing that a Dutch chick knows more about English than I do, especially since I was a professional writer. :redface:)

Edit: Hey, SW;
You posted while I was composing, so I didn't intend to ignore what you said.

Last edited:
"It's rather embarrassing that a Dutch chick knows more about English than I do, especially since I was a professional writer"
But, then again, you ARE just a Canadian..:smile:

Danger said:
As always, I will defer to anything that Monique has to say. She's PF's language guru. (It's rather embarrassing that a Dutch chick knows more about English than I do, especially since I was a professional writer. :redface:)

Edit: Hey, SW;
You posted while I was composing, so I didn't intend to ignore what you said.

No problem. BTW Dutch/Flemish people (at least the younger ones) are very good at languages. It's not unusual for many to speak French and German in addition to English and their native Dutch.

arildno said:
But, then again, you ARE just a Canadian..:smile:

I used to just love you for your body; now I have to add your wit...

Danger said:
I used to just love you for your body; now I have to add your wit...

My body has gotten flabby lately..

SW VandeCarr said:
No problem. BTW Dutch/Flemish people (at least the younger ones) are very good at languages. It's not unusual for many to speak French and German in addition to English and their native Dutch.

Apart from the Chinese, Dutch are the ones who most easily learn to speak fluent Norwegian..

arildno said:
My body has gotten flabby lately..
Oh, good... that's one less thing for me to obsess about...

arildno said:
fluent Norwegian..

Isn't that an oxymoron?

arildno said:
Apart from the Chinese, Dutch are the ones who most easily learn to speak fluent Norwegian..

Are they? Good for them, but I don't think the Swedes or Danes bother to learn Norwegian.

The GRE is a joke. Practice by reading and conversing in english on a regular basis. You will naturally acquire better communication skills - far more useful than a test score.

Okay thank you guys - I think I will just try to use English as much as possible in daily life and also read a lot

i think what you read will influence you.

Eric Hoffer is rather a master of the language and thoughtful too.

I like Joseph Conrad, he too was not a native speaker of English.

SW VandeCarr said:
Are they? Good for them, but I don't think the Swedes or Danes bother to learn Norwegian.

They don't have the capacity.

In general, Norwegians understand BOTH Swedish and Danish (except the unintelligible Danish spoken by 90% of them, that they don't understand themselves, either), whereas Swedes can't understand either Danish or Norwegian, while Danes don't understand anything.

arildno said:
They don't have the capacity.

In general, Norwegians understand BOTH Swedish and Danish (except the unintelligible Danish spoken by 90% of them, that they don't understand themselves, either), whereas Swedes can't understand either Danish or Norwegian, while Danes don't understand anything.

Curse you! Do you know how painful if is to have beer spurt from your nose?

I think improving language skills orally is best via a tandem partner - speak to native speakers, it most natural. Your written language is good though. If you do not find a native speaker just listen to English songs, watch English movies and try to get something from that. Anyway, traveling to the countries where the language is spoken is of course the best thing to do.

Related to How can I improve my English for GRE and TOEFL exams?

1. How important is vocabulary for GRE and TOEFL exams?

Vocabulary is extremely important for both GRE and TOEFL exams. These exams test your ability to understand and use advanced vocabulary in context. Having a strong vocabulary will not only help you with the verbal sections of these exams, but it will also improve your overall comprehension and ability to express yourself effectively.

2. What are some effective methods for improving vocabulary?

There are a few different methods you can use to improve your vocabulary. Some effective ones include reading extensively, using flashcards, and learning new words in context. It's also important to regularly review and practice the words you have learned.

3. How can I improve my grammar for these exams?

Improving your grammar for GRE and TOEFL exams requires practice and understanding of the rules of grammar. You can start by reviewing grammar rules, using grammar exercises and quizzes, and practicing writing and speaking in English. It's also helpful to get feedback from a native English speaker or a tutor.

4. Is it necessary to practice listening and speaking for these exams?

Yes, it is essential to practice listening and speaking for GRE and TOEFL exams. These exams have listening and speaking sections that require you to understand and communicate effectively in English. You can practice these skills by listening to English audio, watching English videos, and participating in conversations with English speakers.

5. How long does it typically take to see improvement in my English for these exams?

The time it takes to see improvement in your English for these exams can vary depending on your starting level and how much you practice. It's important to be consistent with your studying and practice regularly. With dedication and effort, you should see improvement within a few weeks to a few months.