How can I identify patterns in math sequences?

• Thread starter runicle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Patterns
In summary, In both sequences, the first two numbers in the sequence (5 and 4) add up to equal the third number in the sequence (9). The difference between successive terms in (ii) is that 1+8=9, while in (iii), 1+8=27 and 1+27=64.
runicle
I have no clue what pattern in these sequences have (help):
(i)5,4,9,13,22
(ii)1,2,2,4,8
(iii)1,8,27,64
and can someone give me some advice how to notice patterns.

Physics news on Phys.org
For (i), the first two numbers in the sequence (5 and 4) add up to equal the third number in the sequence (9).

So 5+4=9 and 9+13=22.

how about the rest?

runicle said:
(ii)1,2,2,4,8
(iii)1,8,27,64
(ii) Well, 1 * 2 = 2, 2 * 2 = 4, 2 * 4 = 8...
(iii) Not perfect squares, but perhaps perfect something...
and can someone give me some advice how to notice patterns.
I think practice helps (though I suppose how much it helps might depend on how well you can already notice patterns). Here are a few things that come to mind: Look for similarities among the terms, e.g., are they all even, all odd, all multiples of some number, all prime (any primes should usually be a pretty big clue), and so on. Look for a pattern in the differences between successive terms. Note how the terms change, i.e., whether they keep increasing, decreasing, switching back and forth, etc. Break the sequence up into two or more sequences, e.g., by putting every other term in a new sequence.

Last edited:
Whoah, folks! Runicle, you need to show your own work and effort to get help; please review the forum guidelines regarding homework help questions.

And as a reminder to the "helpers," we give help, not complete solutions! Runicle needs to learn to do this for him/herself.
(HRW, this is not directed at you, but to those whose complete solutions I've just deleted.)

I understand Moonbear It's kind of hard to get get help from this question though. Well anyways i found the answer it was:
(ii)1,2,2,4,8
1 x 2 is 2 2 x 2 is 4 2 x 4 is eight. Recursive expression
(iii)1,8,27,64
n^3

Moonbear said:
And as a reminder to the "helpers," we give help, not complete solutions! Runicle needs to learn to do this for him/herself.
(HRW, this is not directed at you, but to those whose complete solutions I've just deleted.)
Yes, but please remember that this post was not made in the Science Education area when I replied. Although he said (help), it as easily have been a general question. Your comment has been noted though. :)

Related to How can I identify patterns in math sequences?

1. What are math patterns?

Math patterns are sequences of numbers or shapes that follow a specific rule or set of rules. They can be found in nature, art, and many other aspects of life.

2. Why are math patterns important?

Math patterns help us understand and make predictions about the world around us. They are also important in problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

3. How do you identify a math pattern?

To identify a math pattern, you need to look for a consistent rule or relationship between the numbers or shapes in the sequence. This could include counting by a certain number, adding or subtracting the same amount, or following a geometric pattern.

4. Can math patterns be found in different areas of math?

Yes, math patterns can be found in many areas of math, including algebra, geometry, and statistics. They are also used in many real-world applications, such as in finance and computer science.

5. How can I improve my skills in recognizing math patterns?

Practice is key to improving your skills in recognizing math patterns. You can also challenge yourself by looking for patterns in everyday life, playing pattern recognition games, and solving math pattern problems.