How Can I Graph THis trigonometric Function?

In summary, the function y = sinx appears to be a sine wave, and multiplying or adding 2 to the y-value of the sin function will change the shape of the waveform, but the y-axis does not move.
Equilibrium
Cud u Help Me How to Graph these?
y = 2 + sinx ; where x = teta
y = 2sinx ; where x = teta

cud u give me some ideas pls?

Physics news on Phys.org
Equilibrium said:
Cud u Help Me How to Graph these?
y = 2 + sinx ; where x = teta
y = 2sinx ; where x = teta

cud u give me some ideas pls?

Do you know how to graph the function y = sinx ?

If you do then what does adding 2 to the y value of that function do to its graph. Similarly for multiplication.

it would look like this one
http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/EMT668/EMAT6680.2001/Mealor/writeup1/assignment 1.html
but i still don't understand why...
Waaaaa~
My problem is that what would it look like when i add 2 and multiply 2?

Edit:
oh yeah when u add 2, the y - axis would move from 0 to 2...
the only problem i have is that how come that is the sine wave?
how to prove it?

Edit number two:
I see... so that's what it is... http://www.ies.co.jp/math/java/samples/graphSinX.html
so meaning when the waves move its going to show a rotation of a circle
..,... so how would it look like when i multiply it by 2 or add by 2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Look in the first link you posted. It tells you what happens when you multiply by 2.

BTW, when you add 2, it's not the y-axis that moves. The y-axis does not move. Ever.

First of all, why is this in the Engineering homework section?

Secondly, did you read the link you posted? You ask what the plot looks like when you multiply the sin function by 2 and when you add 2 to the sin function.

Do you know what the basic format of the sin fuction is? it is:
[tex]f(\theta) = Asin(\theta)[/tex]

"A" is the amplitude of the function and is a MULTIPLIER. So what happens to the amplitude of the sin wave when you change the value of A?

To give you a hint as to the addition problem, think of the sin function like this: When you graph the plain sin function, the waveform starts and ends at the horizontal axis, right? In that case the function could be written as [tex]f(\theta) = 0 + Asin(\theta)[/tex]

Now, what do you think that changing the 0 to a 2 does?

Related to How Can I Graph THis trigonometric Function?

1. How do I determine the period of a trigonometric function?

The period of a trigonometric function is the length of one complete cycle. To determine the period, you can use the formula P=2π/b, where b is the coefficient of x in the function. For example, if the function is y=sin(2x), the period would be P=2π/2=π.

2. How do I find the amplitude of a trigonometric function?

The amplitude of a trigonometric function is half the distance between the maximum and minimum values of the function. For sine and cosine functions, the amplitude is equal to the coefficient of the function, while for tangent functions, the amplitude is equal to the absolute value of the coefficient. For example, if the function is y=3sin(2x), the amplitude would be 3.

3. What is the difference between a sine and cosine function?

Sine and cosine functions are very similar, but the main difference is their phase shift. Sine functions have a phase shift of 0, meaning they start at the origin, while cosine functions have a phase shift of π/2, meaning they start at their maximum value. Visually, this results in a horizontal shift of the graph.

4. How do I graph a trigonometric function on a coordinate plane?

To graph a trigonometric function, you need to plot points using the values of x and y from the function. You can also use the period and amplitude to determine the general shape of the graph. Once you have enough points, you can connect them to create a smooth curve and label the axes accordingly.

5. What is the range of a trigonometric function?

The range of a trigonometric function is the set of all possible values of y that the function can take. For sine and cosine functions, the range is [-1, 1], while for tangent functions, the range is all real numbers except for the values where the function is undefined.