How Can I go about learning physics in under 2 months? (starting undergrad in Feb 2018)

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to prepare for their upcoming physics degree after being out of school for some time. They are asking whether they should study calculus first and how much calculus knowledge is necessary for studying physics. The general advice is to have a good foundation in calculus, with specific focus on derivatives and integrals. It is also recommended to take advantage of elective units to study introductory level math courses. There are online resources available to help bridge the gap between high school and university level material. It is important to assess one's current knowledge and use resources as needed, rather than trying to learn everything beforehand.
valentinacozenkova
I know it may sound ridiculous but I hope you can give me some great advice.

I am starting undergrad school next year (end of feb). I’m doing a physics degree and well here’s my dilemma...

I left school at 17 because of health issues and next year will be the first time I’ll be in education since leaving school. My math was poor in high school so over the past few months I’ve been refreshing and learning mathematics on my own. I still have a way to go but need some advice on how I can achieve an introductory understanding of physics (in order to breeze through when I start studying without complications)

Do I study calculus first then physics? How will I know how much calculus is enough to move onto physics?

How long should I study for?Thanks everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
I was in pretty much the same situation as you were 12 months ago. My biggest reccomendation is study a lot of calculus, maybe a bit of linear algebra, and if possible it will be a huge advantage to use any elective units you may have to study an intro level maths unit. The guidance youll get from a university maths unit will be invaluable

As far as physics goes. If your pretty on the ball you should be able to learn all you need in line with it being taught. You may just have some late nights here and there.

Likes valentinacozenkova
This is less ridiculous as it is challenging. Calculus is certainly the basic tool for physics and you should have a good foundation in it. However, this depends on what can be considered as knowledge. Subjects learned at school are often a bit differently presented at college or universities, so it doesn't need to be a disadvantage, but basic capabilities in calculations are normally assumed to exist. I usually recommend this website with open books, which in my opinion bridges the gap between school and university well:
https://openstax.org/details/books/college-physics for physics and https://openstax.org/subjects/math for the mathematical part. Those books are quite thick, i.e. have really many pages. E.g. the physics book has more than 30 chapters, and the mathematics books have many parts, some of which are extensive as well.

My suggestion is to look at or download them and see where you stand. This would allow you and us a better assessment of what has to be done. Basically you can learn everything from scratch at university, but if it is too far behind, you will run out of time. You don't need to fall in despair considering the volume of these books, because you probably don't need to know all of it. Take it as an overview and maybe as a source to refer to, if you don't understand a concept on your way, rather than studying all of them.

Likes valentinacozenkova
valentinacozenkova said:
Do I study calculus first then physics? How will I know how much calculus is enough to move onto physics?

While you typically don't need it for introductory 100 level physics courses, having a solid understanding of calculus will certainly help. Besides which you will need it eventually. Work on your understanding of derivatives and integrals. Those will be your bread and butter throughout most of your physics education. Of course I imagine you'll be taking a calculus series in your first year during which you'll learn all the nooks and crannies of the subject.

Likes valentinacozenkova

Related to How Can I go about learning physics in under 2 months? (starting undergrad in Feb 2018)

What is the best way to learn physics in under 2 months?

The best way to learn physics in a short amount of time is to create a study schedule and stick to it. Start by setting aside a specific amount of time each day to study and review the material. Also, make use of online resources such as video lectures, practice problems, and interactive simulations to supplement your learning.

What are some key concepts I should focus on when learning physics in a short amount of time?

Some key concepts to focus on when learning physics in a short amount of time include understanding the basic principles and laws, solving problems using equations and mathematical formulas, and being able to apply these concepts to real-world scenarios. It is also important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry, as these are fundamental to understanding physics.

How can I make the most of my study time when learning physics in under 2 months?

To make the most of your study time, it is important to stay organized and focused. Start by breaking down the material into smaller, manageable chunks and create a study plan for each day. Take breaks when needed and make use of different study techniques such as making flashcards or creating study guides to help with retention and understanding of the material.

Is it possible to learn physics in under 2 months if I have no prior background in the subject?

While it may be challenging, it is definitely possible to learn physics in a short amount of time with no prior background. It will require dedication and hard work, but by following a structured study plan and seeking help from resources such as tutors or study groups, you can successfully learn the fundamentals of physics in a short amount of time.

What are some tips for staying motivated while learning physics in under 2 months?

One of the best ways to stay motivated while learning physics is to set achievable goals for yourself. This can include completing a certain number of practice problems each day or mastering a specific concept by a certain date. It is also helpful to remind yourself of your long-term goals and the benefits of learning physics, such as gaining a deeper understanding of the world around us and preparing for future courses or career opportunities.