How Can I Finish Integrating a Natural Log Using Integration by Parts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of integrating the natural log of a function. One approach is to use integration by parts, while another is to use a substitution. Ultimately, it is important to remember to plug the original function back in at the end to find the final indefinite integral.
krusty the clown
[SOLVED] Integration of a natural log

I am asked to Integrate by parts

[tex]\int \ln(2x+1) dx[/tex]

So,
[tex]\mbox{u}=ln(2x+1)[/tex]
[tex]\mbox{du}=\frac{2}{2x+1}[/tex]
[tex]\mbox{dv}=\mbox{dx}[/tex]
[tex]\mbox{v}=\mbox{x}[/tex]
I plug all of that in and I get,

[tex]{\int \ln(2x+1) dx\}={\mbox{x}\ln(2x+1)}-{\int \frac{2x}{2x+1} \mbox{dx}}[/tex]

At this point I tried doing another substitution letting u equal 2x, but this just brought me back to the original question.
After this anything I try to do doesn't lead me anywhere. I know it can be solved because the answer is in the back of the book.
First, is what I have done so far correct?
Second, how do I finish the problem?
Any help you have would be greatly appreciated.

Erik

Physics news on Phys.org
Try approaching it like this:

Let θ = 2x+1, so that your integral is:

[tex] \int{\ln\left(2x+1\right) dx} = 2\int{\ln\theta d\theta} [/tex]

Now you can integrate by parts like you did before, with:

u = ln(θ) --> du = dθ/θ
dv = dθ --> v = θ

You should get:

[tex] 2\left[ \theta\ln\theta - \theta \right] [/tex]

as your result. Now all you have to do is plug θ = 2x+1 back into find the final indefinite integral.

jamesrc's suggestion is good. If you want to go ahead do it the way you were, you can actually do the division [itex]\frac{2x}{2x+1}= 1- \frac{1}{2x+1}[/itex]. Of course, to do the integral of [itex]\frac{1}{2x+1}[/itex], make the substition u= 2x+1 (which gets you right back to jamesrc's suggestion).

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your help, I hate it when the answer is so obvious and I can't figure it out.

Thanks, Erik

One final question, when you substituted theda, shouldn't the constant in front of the integral be 1/2 instead of 2?

(using u instead of theda)

u=2x-1
du=2dx
dx=(1/2)du

Yes, it should be 1/2.

Yes, sorry about that. At least that proves that you know what you're doing.

Related to How Can I Finish Integrating a Natural Log Using Integration by Parts?

1. What is the basic rule for integrating a natural log?

The basic rule for integrating a natural log is to use the formula ∫ln(x) dx = xln(x) - x + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. Can the natural log be integrated using substitution?

Yes, the natural log can be integrated using substitution. The substitution method involves replacing the variable inside the natural log with a new variable and then solving the resulting integral.

3. Are there any special cases when integrating a natural log?

Yes, there are two special cases when integrating a natural log. The first is when the integral includes a fraction, in which case the formula becomes ∫ln(x/y) dx = xln(x/y) - x + C. The second is when the integral includes a constant, in which case the formula becomes ∫ln(ax) dx = xln(ax) - x + C.

4. What is the difference between integrating a natural log and differentiating a natural log?

The main difference between integrating a natural log and differentiating a natural log is that in integration, we are finding the original function from its derivative, while in differentiation, we are finding the derivative of a function. In other words, integration "undoes" differentiation.

5. Can the natural log be integrated using parts?

Yes, the natural log can be integrated using the integration by parts method. The formula for this is ∫ln(x) dx = xln(x) - ∫(x/x) dx.