How can I find the slope of a curve using the limit definition of a derivative?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem statement involving a function F(x) = x^2 - 3x and a point (1,f(1)). The relevant equation is given as lim f(a+h) - f(a) / (h) as h approaches 0. The individual attempts at solving the problem are discussed, with an emphasis on using the "=" sign consistently and including the "lim" notation only when taking the limit. The conversation ends with a question about how to use the "lim" notation on a physics forum, with a helpful link provided for further guidance.
grace77
Problem statement
F(x)= x^2-3x
P=(1,f(1))

Revelant equation
Lim f(a+h)-f(a)/ (h) As h approaches 0

Attempt at a solution
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1393450782.190789.jpg

Now this is where I get stuck.. Because usually you have a h that cancels out and then you have something in the form of (h+a) that can be used to determine the slope.. What do I do next??

Physics news on Phys.org
grace77 said:
Problem statement
F(x)= x^2-3x
P=(1,f(1))

Revelant equation

Attempt at a solution View attachment 67057

Now this is where I get stuck.. Because usually you have a h that cancels out and then you have something in the form of (h+a) that can be used to determine the slope.. What do I do next??
What you got for f(1 + h) is wrong. f(1 + h) = (1 + h)2 - 3(1 + h).

Also, you don't seem to use "=" consistently in your work. You have
##lim_{h \to 0} = ##, following by the thing you're taking the limit of, which is incorrect. You also don't connect the expressions you're doing algebra on with an equal sign, nor do you include the "lim" notation. "lim" should go away only when you actually take the limit, not before.

grace77 said:
Problem statement
F(x)= x^2-3x
P=(1,f(1))

Revelant equation

Attempt at a solution View attachment 67057

You have made a calculation error:

[tex]F(1 + h) - F(1) = (1 + h)^2 - 3(1 + h) + 2[/tex]
and not [itex](1 + h)^2 + 2[/itex] as you have.

pasmith said:
You have made a calculation error:
[tex]F(1 + h) - F(1) = (1 + h)^2 - 3(1 + h) + 2[/tex]

and not [itex](1 + h)^2 + 2[/itex] as you have.
I see my error now thank you!

Mark44 said:
What you got for f(1 + h) is wrong. f(1 + h) = (1 + h)2 - 3(1 + h).

Also, you don't seem to use "=" consistently in your work. You have
##lim_{h \to 0} = ##, following by the thing you're taking the limit of, which is incorrect. You also don't connect the expressions you're doing algebra on with an equal sign, nor do you include the "lim" notation. "lim" should go away only when you actually take the limit, not before.
Thank you for your comments. How do I do the lim notations on physics forum?

grace77 said:
Thank you for your comments. How do I do the lim notations on physics forum?

Code:
[tex]\lim_{h \to 0}[/tex]
produces
[tex]
\lim_{h \to 0}
[/tex]

pasmith said:
Code:
[tex]\lim_{h \to 0}[/tex]

produces

[tex]

\lim_{h \to 0}

[/tex]
Is there a guide where I can find all of these notations?

grace77 said:
Is there a guide where I can find all of these notations?

See here.

pasmith said:
See here.
Thank you. You have been a great help!

Related to How can I find the slope of a curve using the limit definition of a derivative?

What is the slope of a curve?

The slope of a curve is a measure of its steepness at any given point. It tells us how much the curve is rising or falling at that point. In other words, it is the rate of change of the curve at that point.

How do you find the slope of a curve?

To find the slope of a curve, we use the derivative. This involves finding the derivative function and then plugging in the x-value of the point we want to find the slope at. The resulting number is the slope of the curve at that point.

Why is finding the slope of a curve important?

Finding the slope of a curve is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a curve. It tells us how fast the curve is changing at any given point, which can be useful in many applications, such as physics, economics, and engineering.

What is the difference between average slope and instantaneous slope?

The average slope of a curve is the slope between two points on the curve, while the instantaneous slope is the slope at a specific point on the curve. The average slope gives us an overall idea of how the curve is changing, while the instantaneous slope tells us the exact rate of change at a specific point.

Can the slope of a curve be negative?

Yes, the slope of a curve can be negative. This means that the curve is decreasing at that point. The slope can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the behavior of the curve at that point.