How can I find out if this matrix A's columns are linearly independent?

In summary, the columns of the given matrix are linearly dependent since they can be written as a linear combination of each other. This can also be confirmed by calculating the determinant of the matrix formed by the columns.
shamieh

$\begin{bmatrix}1&0\\0&0\end{bmatrix}$

I see here that $x_1 = 0$ and similarly $x_2 = 0$ does this mean that this matrix A's columns are therefore linearly dependent?

Also this is a projection onto the $x_1$ axis so is it also safe to say that this is also one-to-one since it has only the trivial solution of $0$?

Physics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:

$\begin{bmatrix}1&0\\0&0\end{bmatrix}$

I see here that $x_1 = 0$ and similarly $x_2 = 0$ does this mean that this matrix A's columns are therefore linearly dependent?

Also this is a projection onto the $x_1$ axis so is it also safe to say that this is also one-to-one since it has only the trivial solution of $0$?

Hi shamieh, The two columns of the matrix are \(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}\) and \(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}0\\0\end{pmatrix}\). To check the linear independence of these two vectors take \(\displaystyle \alpha\) and \(\displaystyle \beta\) such that, ​$\alpha\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}+\beta\begin{pmatrix}0\\0\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}0\\0\end{pmatrix}$.Then, \(\displaystyle \alpha=0\) and \(\displaystyle \beta\in\Re\) is arbitrary. Thus these two vectors are linearly dependent. Another method of finding the linear independence of two vectors is to calculate the determinant of the matrix formed by them. This is illustrated in the following Wikipedia article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_independence#Alternative_method_using_determinants

Related to How can I find out if this matrix A's columns are linearly independent?

What is the definition of linear independence for a set of vectors?

Linear independence refers to a set of vectors in which no vector can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. In other words, each vector is unique and cannot be expressed as a combination of the others.

How can I determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent?

To determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent, you can perform a linear independence test. This involves setting up a system of equations using the vectors and solving for the coefficients. If the only solution is the trivial solution (all coefficients are equal to 0), then the set of vectors is linearly independent.

What is the significance of linear independence in matrix A's columns?

If the columns of a matrix A are linearly independent, then it means that the vectors represented by the columns are unique and cannot be expressed as a combination of the others. This can provide useful information about the properties and behavior of the matrix.

Can a set of linearly dependent vectors be transformed into a set of linearly independent vectors?

No, a set of linearly dependent vectors cannot be transformed into a set of linearly independent vectors. This is because linear independence is a fundamental property of a set of vectors and cannot be changed through transformation.

What is the difference between linear independence and orthogonality?

Linear independence refers to the uniqueness of a set of vectors, while orthogonality refers to the perpendicularity of vectors. In other words, a set of linearly independent vectors can still be orthogonal, but a set of orthogonal vectors may not necessarily be linearly independent.