How can I find "dx" in a straight line of electric charge?(Picture)

In summary, "dx" in a straight line of electric charge can be determined by dividing the total length of the line by the number of charges present. It can also be calculated using the formula dx = total length of line / number of charges. "dx" cannot be negative as it represents the distance between charges. The value of "dx" directly affects the electric field strength, with a smaller value indicating a stronger field. It can also be used to calculate electric potential using the formula V = k * Q / dx.
MatinSAR
Homework Statement
How can I find "dx" in a straight line of electric charge?(Details in Picture)
Relevant Equations
r=R/cos(teta)
x=rtan(teta)
1646478251956.png

This is the question ... I have it's solution ...
1646478322100.png

1646478364142.png
My problem : I can't understand why dx=R/cos^2(teta) dteta
I have thought many hours but I couldn't find it's reason ... Can anyone please help with this ?!

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##x = R\tan{\theta}##, then ##dx/d\theta= \dots##

Likes vanhees71 and MatinSAR
ergospherical said:
If ##x = R\tan{\theta}##, then ##dx/d\theta= \dots##
I got it ... I have learned this in a wrong way but now I know what was wrong ... Thanks a lot 🌷

Likes vanhees71 and jim mcnamara

Related to How can I find "dx" in a straight line of electric charge?(Picture)

1. How do I calculate the value of "dx" in a straight line of electric charge?

The value of "dx" in a straight line of electric charge can be calculated by dividing the total length of the line by the number of charges present in the line.

2. What is the significance of "dx" in a straight line of electric charge?

"dx" represents the distance between two adjacent charges in a straight line of electric charge. It is an important parameter in determining the electric field intensity at a specific point along the line.

3. Can "dx" vary in a straight line of electric charge?

Yes, "dx" can vary in a straight line of electric charge depending on the distribution of charges along the line. If the charges are evenly spaced, "dx" will remain constant, but if the charges are not evenly spaced, "dx" will vary.

4. How does the value of "dx" affect the electric field intensity in a straight line of electric charge?

The value of "dx" directly affects the electric field intensity in a straight line of electric charge. As "dx" decreases, the electric field intensity increases, and vice versa.

5. Is there a formula for finding "dx" in a straight line of electric charge?

Yes, the formula for calculating "dx" in a straight line of electric charge is "dx = L / N", where L is the total length of the line and N is the number of charges present in the line.