How can I extend the lifespan of my rechargeable batteries?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Batteries
In summary, the person is trying to find a way to fix a problem with their rechargeable batteries, and eventually solves the issue by throwing the batteries away.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So I just realized that one o fmy batteries that I use for my wireless keyboard is discharging far faster then the other ones. I use a set of 4 for my wireless keyboard and use this sweet 15 minute battery charger I got from radio shack a long time ago. This one battery though, it just discharges a hell of a lot faster then the other ones. Anyone know of any home grown remedies? Do I put it out in a lightning storm and hope it gets struck? Something cool like that? :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright I know how to remedy this.
  1. Go to keyboard
  2. open keyboard
  3. take batteries out of keyboard
  4. walk to nearest trash disposal unit
  5. open nearest trash disposal unit
  6. throw batteries in trash disposal unit
  7. go outside
  8. get in car
  9. drive to store
  10. buy new batteries
  11. come home
  12. put new batteries in keyboard
  13. type about experience

maybe your 15 min supercharger slowly kills any battery with the slightest defect?

So you're sure it's the same battery? Or could it be which ever battery happens to be installed in a particular spot in your keyboard?

MotoH said:
[*]go outside

I'm stuck on this step. I don't want to.

lisab said:
So you're sure it's the same battery? Or could it be which ever battery happens to be installed in a particular spot in your keyboard?

I markedthe one that seems to be discharging way faster then usual. Unless i accidently put the same one in the same spot (even though they're in series...), I don't think that's the problem.

I really don't want to replace these becausethey're super cool 15 minute rechargable batteries and i don't think radio shack sells them anymore.

Pengwuino said:
I markedthe one that seems to be discharging way faster then usual.
I would test it after charging, before you put it in the keyboard, to make sure it actually charged.

MotoH said:
Alright I know how to remedy this.
  1. throw batteries in trash disposal unit

Batteries are toxic waste. You do not dump toxic waste to a thrash disposal unit.

And you want to minimize toxic waste, so you do everything to lengthen the life of your batteries.

Buy non-wireless keyboard. Problem fixed.

magwas said:
Batteries are toxic waste. You do not dump toxic waste to a thrash disposal unit.

And you want to minimize toxic waste, so you do everything to lengthen the life of your batteries.

Ok fine. Throw the batteries in the woods.

The batteries are normally run in series, which means they should discharge at equal rates unless one is defective.

Sigh... Pengwuino 0, Derailed threads 1.

I wonder why they stopped selling these 15 minute rechargable batteries. They were so awesome for so long. SADFACE :(

Pengwuino said:
Sigh... Pengwuino 0, Derailed threads 1.

I wonder why they stopped selling these 15 minute rechargable batteries. They were so awesome for so long. SADFACE :(

ohhhh---

OK---what's the make and model number of your battery?

Radioshack 1.2V 2Ah Ni-Mh AA batteries, I believe the model is 23-531.

One thing I don't really understand is why there's a few models of batteries and chargers that are like 10-15 minute rechargers, but most seem to be 10-20 hour chargers.

Last edited:
Pengwuino said:
Radioshack 1.2V 2Ah Ni-Mh AA batteries, I believe the model is 23-531.
Hmmm, I wonder who actually makes those. Radio Shack was never known for selling quality stuff. How long did the batteries last before you had this problem?

It does sound like you have one defective battery. The quick fix is to replace it, though if the other batteries are fairly old then it's best to replace all 4.

I would be tempted to buy a name brand (eg. Energizer or Duracell), get a 1-hour charger, and have 2 sets of batteries.

MotoH said:
Ok fine. Throw the batteries in the woods.

:biggrin:

I laughed out loud at this one.

magwas said:
Batteries are toxic waste. You do not dump toxic waste to a thrash disposal unit...
Not all them, not any more than the OP's keyboard.

Related to How can I extend the lifespan of my rechargeable batteries?

1. What are the benefits of using rechargeable batteries?

There are several benefits to using rechargeable batteries, including saving money in the long run, reducing waste and environmental impact, and convenience. Rechargeable batteries can be reused multiple times, which means you won't have to constantly buy new batteries. This also reduces the amount of batteries that end up in landfills, helping to protect the environment. Additionally, rechargeable batteries can be charged at home using a charger, making them convenient and easily accessible.

2. How do rechargeable batteries work?

Rechargeable batteries work by storing energy in chemical form, rather than using a one-time chemical reaction like traditional disposable batteries. When the battery is used, the chemical reaction produces electricity, which powers the device. When the battery is depleted, it can be recharged by reversing the chemical reaction using an external power source, such as a charger.

3. How many times can rechargeable batteries be recharged?

The number of times a rechargeable battery can be recharged depends on the type of battery and how it is used. Generally, rechargeable batteries can be recharged hundreds to thousands of times before they start to lose their capacity. However, factors such as overcharging or undercharging can affect the lifespan of the battery.

4. Are all rechargeable batteries the same?

No, there are several types of rechargeable batteries, including nickel-cadmium (NiCd), nickel-metal hydride (NiMH), and lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is suited for different applications. For example, NiCd batteries are known for their high discharge rates and durability, while Li-ion batteries have a higher energy density and are commonly used in electronic devices.

5. Can rechargeable batteries be used in all devices?

Rechargeable batteries can be used in most devices that require a battery, but it's important to check the device's specifications to ensure compatibility. Some devices may require a specific type or size of battery, so it's important to choose the right rechargeable battery for your device. Additionally, some devices may not be able to handle the higher voltage of rechargeable batteries, so it's best to consult the manufacturer's instructions before using them.