How can I evaluate f(x) based on Theorem 3?

In summary: So, the method requires at most 16 multiplications in F17.In summary, the question asks to evaluate a function at the eight powers of 2 in F17, given that 2 is a primitive 8th root of unity. It is then verified that the method for evaluation requires at most 16 multiplications in F17.
jmomo

Homework Statement

In F17, 2 is a primitive 8th root of unity. Evaluate f(x) = 7x3+8x2+3x+5 at the eight powers of 2 in F17. Verify that the method requires at most 16 multiplications in F17.

Homework Equations

You can can more clearly see the theorem on page 376-378 and the problem is on page 382 #6:
http://igortitara.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/a-concrete-introduction-to-higher-algebra1.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find that the d=3, but am unclear on how I evaluate f(x) based of Theorem 3.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jmomo said:

Homework Statement

In F17, 2 is a primitive 8th root of unity. Evaluate f(x) = 7x3+8x2+3x+5 at the eight powers of 2 in F17. Verify that the method requires at most 16 multiplications in F17.

Homework Equations

You can can more clearly see the theorem on page 376-378 and the problem is on page 382 #6:
http://igortitara.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/a-concrete-introduction-to-higher-algebra1.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find that the d=3, but am unclear on how I evaluate f(x) based of Theorem 3.

The question states that ##2## is a primitive ##2^3##'th root of unity, that is ##2^8 = e = 1##.

You need to evaluate ##f(2), f(2^2), f(2^3), ... , f(2^8)##. This requires at most ##2^r(r-1)## multiplications, which works out to:

##2^r(r-1) = 2^3(3-1) = 8(2) = 16##

Last edited:

Related to How can I evaluate f(x) based on Theorem 3?

What is a primitive root of unity?

A primitive root of unity is a complex number that, when raised to different integer powers, generates all the other roots of unity. In other words, it is a number that, when multiplied by itself a certain number of times, equals 1.

How many primitive roots of unity are there?

For a given number n, there are φ(n) primitive roots of unity, where φ(n) is the Euler totient function. This means that there are φ(n) different integers that, when raised to different powers, generate all the other roots of unity.

What is the relationship between primitive roots of unity and modular arithmetic?

The existence of primitive roots of unity is closely related to modular arithmetic. For a given modulus n, the primitive roots of unity correspond to the numbers that have a multiplicative order of n. This means that these numbers, when raised to different powers, result in a cyclical pattern of n different values.

How are primitive roots of unity used in mathematics?

Primitive roots of unity have various applications in mathematics, including in number theory, abstract algebra, and geometry. They are also used in the field of cryptography, where they play a crucial role in the security of certain encryption algorithms.

Can every number have a primitive root of unity?

No, not every number has a primitive root of unity. In fact, only certain numbers have primitive roots of unity, such as prime numbers and some powers of prime numbers. For other numbers, a similar concept called a primitive element may exist, but it is not exactly the same as a primitive root of unity.