How Can I Effectively Prepare for a Major Exam with Limited Past Papers?

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help for an upcoming exam. They have been given past exam papers to practice, but are struggling with one question involving the volume of a cylinder and Toricelli's law. They have received some assistance but still have a few questions they are unsure about. The student thanks those who helped and mentions they will post the remaining questions later.
Logistics
I have a major exam coming up and we've been given few past exam papers to go through to practice.

I have absolutely no idea what to do here :frown:, if people could help me out, work it out etc. It would be greatly appriciated.

Link 1: http://img72.echo.cx/img72/3763/question0ex.jpg

Link 2: http://www.storage4all.com/uploads/5983d1c9d4.jpg

Thanks

Edit: Added a 2nd link, Link 1 seems to be slow at the moment

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Link doesn't work.

Edit: Added a 2nd link

Last edited:
i might help you somewhat although i haven't got the complete solution:

you know that the volume of a cylinder is given by: V= Ah (where A is the area of the base).

so when deriving with respect to time ull have:
dV/dt = A*dh/dt

and given (from Toricelli's law) that dV/dt = -a*squared root(2gh)

you can set the two equalities and obtain:

dh/dt = (-a/A)*squared root(2g)*squared root(h)

therefore the alpha constant should be equal to the rate of the samller area (the circular hole) to the bigger area (the one of the cylinder base) times the squared root of 2g's.
that's for the first part.

for the second part you will have to integrate the squared root of h knowing that -alpha is a constant.
I'm not sure about it, maybe an expert will help you.

As for the third it's a numeral application for the second part.

I hope this helped.

Thank you very much.

I have worked it all out :)

3 questions left that I don't understand will post them later :p

Related to How Can I Effectively Prepare for a Major Exam with Limited Past Papers?

1. What is the best way to prepare for a major exam?

The best way to prepare for a major exam is to start early and create a study schedule. Make sure to review your notes and study materials regularly and actively engage with the material by practicing with practice questions or flashcards.

2. How can I stay motivated while studying for a major exam?

To stay motivated while studying for a major exam, it is important to set specific goals for yourself and reward yourself when you reach them. Also, take breaks and engage in activities that help you relieve stress and refocus.

3. How should I approach studying for different types of exams?

Different types of exams may require different study strategies. For multiple choice exams, focus on understanding the concepts and practice with similar questions. For essay exams, create outlines and practice writing essays under timed conditions. For practical exams, practice hands-on skills and review any necessary procedures.

4. Is it better to study alone or in a group?

This depends on personal preference and learning style. Some people may benefit from studying alone and focusing on their own pace, while others may find group study sessions helpful for discussing and clarifying difficult concepts. It is important to find what works best for you.

5. How can I manage my time effectively while studying for a major exam?

To manage your time effectively while studying for a major exam, prioritize your study materials and focus on the most important topics first. Use a planner or study schedule to break down your studying into manageable chunks. Also, eliminate distractions and make the most of your study time by focusing on one task at a time.