Solving Algebra Problems: 2.(c,i),(c,ii),(c,iii) Exam Paper

• MHB
  • Thread starter pretzel1998
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the questions where Pretzel face planted on the past exam paper ask for equations where there are two x's that he is unsure about and when solving the equation, he gets an incorrect answer.
pretzel1998
Hiya.

Im having problems with Questions 2.(c,i),(c,ii) and (c,iii) question on this past exam paper. http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/nqfdocs/ncea-resource/exams/2014/91261-exm-2014.pdfCan someone check my answers and explain the questions where I face planted? Thanks!

2. (c,i). I got h/(rx-t) = x, I know this is wrong because there is 2 x's in the equation which I am pretty sure is not correct. I factored out the x and divided both sides by (rx-t), where did I go wrong?
2. (c,ii). I got -1/6(x+6)(x-6), I'm pretty confident about this one, but can someone please check it anyways? I'm often wrong when I am confident hahaha.
2. (c,iii). I got 4.96m (rounded to 2 dp), I substituted in 1.9 as the height and solved the equation found in the above question to find the width of the lane. Did I do it right?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi pretzel, and welcome to MHB!

pretzel1998 said:
Hiya.

Im having problems with Questions 2.(c,i),(c,ii) and (c,iii) question on this past exam paper. http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/nqfdocs/ncea-resource/exams/2014/91261-exm-2014.pdfCan someone check my answers and explain the questions where I face planted? Thanks!

2. (c,i). I got h/(rx-t) = x, I know this is wrong because there is 2 x's in the equation which I am pretty sure is not correct. I factored out the x and divided both sides by (rx-t), where did I go wrong?
Write the equation as $\color{red}{rx^2 - tx - h = 0}$, and solve it as a quadratic in $\color{red}x$.

2. (c,ii). I got -1/6(x+6)(x-6), I'm pretty confident about this one, but can someone please check it anyways? I'm often wrong when I am confident hahaha.

I got $\color{red}{h = 2x - \dfrac{x^2}6}$. Notice that $\color{red}h$ must be 0 when $\color{red}x$ is 0 or 12.

2. (c,iii). I got 4.96m (rounded to 2 dp), I substituted in 1.9 as the height and solved the equation found in the above question to find the width of the lane. Did I do it right?
I agree with the answer 4.96m (rounded to 2 dp)

Thanks!

Related to Solving Algebra Problems: 2.(c,i),(c,ii),(c,iii) Exam Paper

1. What is the purpose of solving algebra problems?

The purpose of solving algebra problems is to find the value of unknown variables in an equation or to manipulate equations to find a desired outcome. Algebra is a fundamental branch of mathematics and is used in many fields, such as science, engineering, and economics.

2. How do I approach solving algebra problems?

There are several steps you can follow to approach solving algebra problems. First, read the problem carefully and identify the unknown variables. Then, use the given information to set up an equation or system of equations. Next, use algebraic techniques, such as combining like terms or isolating variables, to solve for the unknowns. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

3. What are some common algebraic techniques used in solving problems?

Some common algebraic techniques used in solving problems include distributing, factoring, combining like terms, isolating variables, and using the order of operations. It is important to be familiar with these techniques and know when to use them in order to successfully solve algebra problems.

4. How can I practice and improve my algebra problem-solving skills?

One way to practice and improve your algebra problem-solving skills is by doing practice problems. There are many resources available, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and worksheets, that provide a variety of algebra problems to solve. It is also helpful to review and understand the steps and techniques used to solve each problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebra problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebra problems include forgetting to use the order of operations, making careless errors when combining like terms or simplifying expressions, and not checking your solutions. It is also important to pay attention to negative signs and to be careful when working with fractions and decimals.