How can I cut out 60hz reception from transformer?

In summary, the EM field of the transformer is causing the hum. There are a few ways to reduce or eliminate the hum, including reducing the receiving loop size, twisting wires, or operating the amplifier on battery.
Tesladude
I just made an amp for a friend giving about 30 watts x2. but it is in a small project box and I am receiving 60hz coming into the input of the amps.
I have done tests and it is the EM field of the transformer, I have 2 trimpots on the inputs to the amplifier and have been able to cut out this hum but not without losing some volume along with it.
Is there any quick and easy way to fix the hum?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Transformer orientation can sometimes help. Not sure about mu-metal at 60Hz (I've used it for crosstalking audio transformers).

For the EM field to cause hum it needs to be induced into a loop somewhere. Maybe you can reduce receiving loop size. Twisting wires , etc.

It's possible that there is 60 Hz in a ground loop and moving the transformer cancels it out?

I'm just saying what comes to mind, of course.

yes thank you, I have been able to cut most out by shortening the input wire configuration, but when I make amps I set the amplifiers gain very high and have a trim-pot on the input because you will get MUCH better sound quallity when amplifying small signals, so I am just going to lower the gain a bit ,

thanks.

do you have any picture of your box amplifier setup?

I have build a few too and usually it's not that the transformer is not filtered enough it is that the field of the transformer literally induces the frequency to the amplifier and so there is this buzz.
Basically there are either two things , put the transformer further away or make a cage for it.Basically that doesn't help much atleast in my case.

You might try operating your amp on battery to see if the hum is still there. If so, it's probably in the power supply. Also try shorting the inputs to see if it goes away.

To check if it really is getting onto the input to the amp, touch one of the input leads with a screwdriver while holding the metal part. It the hum gets louder, that's where it's getting in. If nothing changes, you probably need to redesign your power supply to improve the smoothing.

Note, that test assumes your amp is designed and built following good safely practices - I take no responsibility for what happens to you if it's not!

Related to How can I cut out 60hz reception from transformer?

1. How does 60hz reception affect transformers?

60hz reception can cause interference and noise in transformers, affecting their performance and potentially damaging them over time.

2. Can I simply remove the 60hz frequency from the transformer?

No, it is not possible to completely remove the 60hz frequency from a transformer. However, it is possible to reduce its impact through various methods.

3. What are some methods for reducing 60hz reception in transformers?

Some methods include using shielding materials, adding filters or chokes, and adjusting the placement of the transformer.

4. Will reducing 60hz reception affect the overall performance of the transformer?

It may slightly affect the performance, but the impact should be minimal and the benefits of reducing interference will outweigh any potential drawbacks.

5. Can I test the effectiveness of my method for cutting out 60hz reception?

Yes, you can test the effectiveness by monitoring the noise level of the transformer before and after implementing the method. You can also use specialized equipment to measure the frequency and amplitude of any remaining interference.