How can I convince a faculty member to take me on as a summer student/researcher

In summary, obtaining a NSERC position in Canada, equivalent to a REU in the US, may not be possible. However, some researchers may have the funds to offer a small stipend for summer work. It may also be possible to apply for USRA, but the application deadline is four weeks before the job starts. Alternatively, offering to work for free may also lead to a research opportunity, but it is important to consider the opportunity cost of not having a summer job. Ultimately, the decision is up to the individual and good luck with making it.
zheng89120
I have not been able to obtain a NSERC position in Canada, which is the equivalent of a REU in the US. Can I asked for part-time pay? Express my extreme interest in the research field? Promise that my spring marks are above a certain level?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some researchers will have the funds to pay you a small stipend (usually less than NSERC) for your summer work. You may or may not also be able to apply for USRA (industrial NSERC--there's a similar thread here regarding that program)--the application for that is four weeks before the start of the job.

If you offer to work for free, yes, a prof will probably take you on. Now, the question is whether or not you want to do this, given that you could have a (non-research) summer job instead and get paid *something*. Whether or not the opportunity cost is worth it is up to you (or you could split the difference and work part / full time at both).

Good luck with your decision making.

gee, thanks MATLAB dude.. the person I talked is actually lenient towards giving me some research to do.. you obviously knows the in and outs of the system, at least the Canadian one.. the money is not that important to me.. the professor's particular field is actually why I got into physics in the first place.. I owe you my life for this important piece of consultation, especially if I get a placement.. I hope you were able or on your way to attain your own dreams.

Related to How can I convince a faculty member to take me on as a summer student/researcher

1. How can I approach a faculty member about becoming a summer student/researcher?

One way to approach a faculty member is to send them an email expressing your interest in their research and asking if they have any opportunities for summer students or researchers. You can also attend their office hours or set up a meeting to discuss your interest in working with them.

2. What should I include in my email when reaching out to a faculty member?

In your email, you should introduce yourself and explain why you are interested in their research. You can also mention any relevant coursework or experience you have that would make you a good fit for their research team. Be sure to also express your enthusiasm and willingness to learn from them.

3. How can I stand out to a faculty member and increase my chances of being accepted as a summer student/researcher?

One way to stand out is to demonstrate your passion and dedication for the subject matter. This can be done by showcasing any relevant coursework or projects you have completed, as well as any extracurricular activities related to the field. You can also highlight any unique skills or experiences that make you a strong candidate.

4. Is it appropriate to follow up with a faculty member after initially reaching out?

It is acceptable to follow up with a faculty member if you have not heard back from them after a week or two. However, be sure to be respectful and not to follow up too frequently. You can also use this opportunity to reiterate your interest in working with them and inquire about any potential updates on available positions.

5. How can I best prepare for an interview with a faculty member for a summer student/researcher position?

To prepare for an interview, you should research the faculty member and their research beforehand. This will show them that you are genuinely interested in their work. You should also be prepared to discuss your relevant skills and experiences, as well as any potential ideas or contributions you may have for their research project. It is also important to dress professionally and be punctual for the interview.