How can I convert this function into a differential equation?

In summary: But , i still didnt get the ansWell, what was the "ans given"? And are you sure you are not getting it?
hotjohn

Homework Statement

dy/dx = (2x +y -1) / ( 4x -2y +1) , x= X +1 , y = Y-1 ,, how to make it into differential equation ? my ans is not same as the ans given .
P/s : in the second photo , it's lnx +c , sorry for the blur photo

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 0741.jpg
    0741.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 368
  • 0743.jpg
    0743.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 335
Physics news on Phys.org
What you give already is a differential equation! Do you mean "change from a differential equation in x and y to a differential equation in X and Y"? If you can immediately replace x and y on the right side of the equation by X+ 1 and Y- 1. For the left side, use the "chain" rule:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{dy}{dY}\frac{dY}{dx}= \frac{dy}{dY}\frac{dY}{dX}\frac{dX}{dx}[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
What you give already is a differential equation! Do you mean "change from a differential equation in x and y to a differential equation in X and Y"? If you can immediately replace x and y on the right side of the equation by X+ 1 and Y- 1. For the left side, use the "chain" rule:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{dy}{dY}\frac{dY}{dx}= \frac{dy}{dY}\frac{dY}{dX}\frac{dX}{dx}[/tex].
in the photo posted , i have already showed that dy/ dY = 1 , dx/dX =1 , so i can conclude that dy=dY , dx=dX , so for the original dy/dx , i can make it as dY/dX , and replace the x as X+1 , and y = Y+1 , so i have dY/dX = (2X+Y) / (X+2Y)

hotjohn said:
in the photo posted , i have already showed that dy/ dY = 1 , dx/dX =1 , so i can conclude that dy=dY , dx=dX , so for the original dy/dx , i can make it as dY/dX , and replace the x as X+1 , and y = Y+1 , so i have dY/dX = (2X+Y) / (X+2Y)
But , i still didnt get the ans

Well, what was the "ans given"? And are you sure you are not getting it? In your first post, you have your answer as an equation involving several logarithms. You can use the "laws of logarithms" to reduce your equation to "ln(A)= ln(B)" and then take the exponential of both sides to get "A= B".

Related to How can I convert this function into a differential equation?

1. What is the transformation of a function?

The transformation of a function refers to the process of manipulating an existing function to create a new function. This is done by applying operations such as shifting, stretching, or reflecting the graph of the original function.

2. Why do we transform functions?

Functions are transformed in order to better understand their behavior and characteristics. Transformation can also help in solving equations and graphing complex functions.

3. What are the different types of transformations for functions?

There are four types of transformations for functions: translation, reflection, stretching, and shrinking. Translation involves shifting the graph horizontally or vertically. Reflection involves flipping the graph over an axis. Stretching and shrinking involve changing the scale of the graph.

4. How do transformations affect the graph of a function?

Transformations can change the position, shape, and size of the graph of a function. They can also affect the domain and range of the function. For example, a horizontal translation will shift the graph left or right, while a vertical stretching will make the graph taller or shorter.

5. What is the difference between a transformation and a translation?

A translation is a specific type of transformation that involves shifting the graph of a function without changing its shape. Other transformations, such as reflections and stretches, will alter the shape of the graph in addition to moving it. Translations only change the position of the graph.