How can I control FLIR camera (tau 2.4) by using Python?

In summary, the user is seeking advice on using Python to control a FLIR camera. They have noticed that the camera shows up as a COM port in the Device Manager and have seen examples of Python working with COM ports. They are seeking advice from anyone who has worked on a similar project before. They are advised to consult the camera's manual for instructions on remote control and to test out commands using a HyperTerminal window before coding in Python.
Nate Duong
Dear Forum,

I am trying to use Python to control FLIR camera (tau 2.4) but I do not know there is possible or not?

I say that because I see when I connect IR camera to the computer using USB, it shows COM port in the Device Manager and I've seen python possible to work with COM port through Pyserial, such as GPS, Arduino...

Anyone who has been working on this project before, please give me some advise!

Thank you very much.

Technology news on Phys.org
Usually, you need a driver and a library of functions that you can call in your program to control the device.

This is spelled out in the documentation of the instrument.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Nate Duong said:
Dear Forum,

I am trying to use Python to control FLIR camera (tau 2.4) but I do not know there is possible or not?

I say that because I see when I connect IR camera to the computer using USB, it shows COM port in the Device Manager and I've seen python possible to work with COM port through Pyserial, such as GPS, Arduino...

Anyone who has been working on this project before, please give me some advise!

Thank you very much.
As Dr. C suggests, start by looking at the manual for the camera, specifically the section on Remote Control What baud rate does it expect? Can you open up a HyperTerminal window using that Com port (with all the settings correct), and type commands to get the camera to do what you want? Once you can test out commands with the HyperTerminal session, you should be able to code up what you want in Python.

Related to How can I control FLIR camera (tau 2.4) by using Python?

1. How do I establish a connection to the FLIR camera using Python?

In order to control the FLIR camera in Python, you will need to use the PyCapture2 library. This library provides an API to communicate with the camera and allows you to control its settings and capture images. You can download the library from the official FLIR website and import it into your Python code.

2. How can I adjust the settings of the FLIR camera using Python?

The PyCapture2 library provides various functions to adjust the settings of the FLIR camera. These functions include setShutter for adjusting the shutter speed, setGain for adjusting the gain, and setWhiteBalance for adjusting the white balance. You can refer to the library's documentation for a full list of available functions and their parameters.

3. Can I capture images from the FLIR camera using Python?

Yes, you can capture images from the FLIR camera using the PyCapture2 library. The library provides a grab function that captures an image and stores it in a Image object. You can then save the image to your desired location using the save function.

4. How can I stream live video from the FLIR camera using Python?

The PyCapture2 library also allows you to stream live video from the FLIR camera. You can use the startCapture function to start the video capture and then use the retrieveBuffer function to retrieve the frames. You can then process and display the frames using any Python library of your choice.

5. Are there any examples or tutorials available for controlling the FLIR camera in Python?

Yes, FLIR provides various examples and tutorials on their website for controlling the FLIR camera using Python. These resources include sample codes, step-by-step guides, and video tutorials to help you get started. Additionally, you can also refer to the PyCapture2 library's documentation for more information on its usage and capabilities.