How can I construct a wormhole?

• Thread starter qinglong.1397
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wormhole
In summary: The manifold is the breaking up of spacetime into regions together with the definition within each region of a reasonable coordinate system (in which each point gets a unique set of coordinates). You can see that you need a coordinate system for the metric to be meaningful.
qinglong.1397
How to embed a wormhole?

http://www.physics.louisville.edu/wkomp/teaching/spring2006/589/final/wormholes.pdf"

Please download the paper and then look at Fig. 1(b).

I want to know, how we can construct such a wormhole. Would you please help find the metric describing the universe with the wormhole?

Thank you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

It's an embedded diagram; not an embedded, physical, wormhole. This is simply referring to a means of representing the concept of a wormhole, it is not a new/different entity.
The metric is included in the paper.

zhermes said:
It's an embedded diagram; not an embedded, physical, wormhole. This is simply referring to a means of representing the concept of a wormhole, it is not a new/different entity.
The metric is included in the paper.

Thanks for your reply! But the metric is actually describing Fig. 1(a).

zhermes said:
This is simply referring to a means of representing the concept of a wormhole, it is not a new/different entity.
Same thing.

zhermes said:
Same thing.

Why are they the same? They have different topologies. Fig. 1(a) is an open universe, while (b) is closed if the spacetime still has axisymmetry. For the manifold, different metrics mean different topologies. So I think they are different.

Neither 'a' nor 'b' is locally not necessarily open or closed. The metric is for an overall open spacetime of course. Which manifold? And yes, often different metrics mean different topologies; but more importantly different topologies always mean different metrics---still I don't see what your point is.

'l' is describing the effective radial direction from the mouth of the wormhole. For a worm-hole between two different universes positive and negative 'l' would then connect to metrics for the overall geometry of each, whether they are the same or different. For the same universe, 'l' would instead refer to different regions of the same universe. 'l' is not necessarily the same as the physical space dimensions (e.g. x,y,z in minkowski space, or r in schwarzschild).

zhermes said:
Neither 'a' nor 'b' is locally not necessarily open or closed. The metric is for an overall open spacetime of course. Which manifold? And yes, often different metrics mean different topologies; but more importantly different topologies always mean different metrics---still I don't see what your point is.

'l' is describing the effective radial direction from the mouth of the wormhole. For a worm-hole between two different universes positive and negative 'l' would then connect to metrics for the overall geometry of each, whether they are the same or different. For the same universe, 'l' would instead refer to different regions of the same universe. 'l' is not necessarily the same as the physical space dimensions (e.g. x,y,z in minkowski space, or r in schwarzschild).

It should be that topology determines metric. I was wrong. But since the two figures are different--I mean they have different overall topologies--they should have different metrics. I just want to know how to write down the metric for the second figure.

I understand your second paragraph, but I do not think you can embed that metric just like Fig. 1(b).

It is my understanding that only in two dimensions will there generally be topological restriction to a given metric, caused by the integral of the ricci scalar being proportional to the Euler characteristic.

[tex]\int dx^2 \mathcal{R}=\chi[/tex]

However I think that in higher dimensions permissible metrics are not related to permissible topologies.

EDIT:

Another way of looking at the question is that solving the EFEs are fairly local, in that you can look at the metric for that wormhole separately from the rest of space-time assuming you don't care about about the source terms elsewhere.

In general it will be impossible to write a nice metric for any sort of system with more than one source.

Last edited:

n1person said:
It is my understanding that only in two dimensions will there generally be topological restriction to a given metric, caused by the integral of the ricci scalar being proportional to the Euler characteristic.

[tex]\int dx^2 \mathcal{R}=\chi[/tex]

However I think that in higher dimensions permissible metrics are not related to permissible topologies.

EDIT:

Another way of looking at the question is that solving the EFEs are fairly local, in that you can look at the metric for that wormhole separately from the rest of space-time assuming you don't care about about the source terms elsewhere.

In general it will be impossible to write a nice metric for any sort of system with more than one source.

So we should express the metric piecewise, just like a piecewise function?

So we should express the metric piecewise, just like a piecewise function?

Sort of. From what I've read it's the so called manifold that is defined piecewise and the metric is defined on the manifold.

The manifold is the breaking up of spacetime into regions together with the definition within each region of a reasonable coordinate system (in which each point gets a unique set of coordinates).

You can see that you need to do that, when you look at the earth. The latitude-longitude coordinate system breaks down at the poles, e.g. the North Pole has ambiguous longitude.
To fix that, you could define a manifold that breaks the surface of the Earth into 3 regions: a small North Pole region, a small South Pole region, and everywhere else.

Related to How can I construct a wormhole?

1. How does a wormhole work?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel that connects two distant points in space-time. It is believed to be a shortcut that allows for faster-than-light travel. In theory, one end of the wormhole is connected to a black hole, while the other end is connected to a white hole. Matter and energy can enter one end and exit the other, effectively creating a shortcut through space-time.

2. Can wormholes be created artificially?

Currently, we do not have the technology to create wormholes artificially. The concept of wormholes is based on theoretical physics, and there is no evidence that they exist in nature. However, scientists are working on ways to potentially create and stabilize wormholes in the future.

3. Can a wormhole be used for time travel?

The concept of time travel through a wormhole is still highly debated among scientists. Some theories suggest that it could be possible, while others argue that the laws of physics would not allow it. More research and understanding of wormholes is needed to determine if time travel through a wormhole is possible.

4. How would you go about embedding a wormhole?

Embedding a wormhole is purely hypothetical at this point, as we do not have the technology to create one. However, some theories suggest that it would involve manipulating the fabric of space-time by generating enormous amounts of energy or using exotic matter with negative mass. More research and understanding of wormholes is needed to determine the feasibility of embedding one.

5. Are there any risks associated with creating a wormhole?

As wormholes are purely theoretical, there are currently no known risks associated with creating one. However, some theories suggest that wormholes could potentially collapse or become unstable, which could have unpredictable consequences. Further research and understanding of wormholes is needed before we can accurately determine any potential risks.