Help w/ Wormholes (Neg.Mass & Subatomic particles)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wormholes and Faster than Light travel in relation to a book being written. The first question is about the existence of microscopic wormholes at the Planck Scale. The second question is about the possibility of manipulating the opening and direction of a wormhole without traveling through it. The third question is about using negative mass to stabilize and travel through a wormhole. The conversation also briefly mentions the concept of "teleporting" particles and using a warp drive to transport a ship without acceleration. The feasibility of manipulating space for FTL travel is also discussed.
HoppinAllDay
Ok, so I've been doing some research about wormholes and Faster than Light travel for a book I'm writing and I have a few questions that I figured you guys/girls could help me with.

Firstly, I've read that wormholes possibly exist at a subatomic level at the Planck Scale, and my understanding (in laymen's terms) is that that means there are tiny wormholes at a microscopic level. Is that correct?

Secondly, assuming that's true and you somehow found a way to coax the wormhole into a large enough opening to walk/fly through, is there a theoretical way to direct where you come out? I've read an article about how you could move the holes of a static wormhole by:
1) Charging the second mouth by showering it with charged particles and then
2) using electrostatic attraction to precisely position the second mouth by suitably dragging it.
But I'd like to know if you have an idea about how to manipulate a wormhole without having to travel through it first. I know that's a bit of a stretch, but if anything you can help me think of an idea for my book that's more scientific than fiction.

Finally, my biggest question has to do with negative mass. My understanding is that negative mass naturally repels gravity, and that one theory is that to stabilize wormholes, you would need to use negative mass to hold it open. Once open, you'd be able to fly through (assuming you could withstand radiation and gravitational forces) and have a much faster journey to the other side. However, I've seen a proposition of a "Negative Mass Warp Drive". In theory you'd be able to compress space time in front of you, and expand it behind you. Assuming you have some way of turning this property on and off, I want to know if this manipulation of space time would create a real acceleration to near FTL speeds or if it is more of an artificial FTL, and you'd actually be traveling at the same speed.

I hope most of that makes sense, I'm happy to clarify if you just point out the question that you don't understand!

Physics news on Phys.org
One of my teachers said some scientists were able to basically "teleport" a particle from one spot to another. Didn't explain any more about that, though.

The idea of warp drive is that your ship doesn't have to accelerate. Think of a bubble of water, and your ship or submarine is inside it. If you move the bubble, then your ship is transported without having to move within the bubble. How do you move a bubble of space? That's where science fiction comes in, and you can just make something up.

Related to Help w/ Wormholes (Neg.Mass & Subatomic particles)

1. What is a wormhole?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel-like structure in space-time that connects two distant points in the universe. It is mathematically predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity and is often depicted in science fiction as a shortcut for traveling through vast distances.

2. How do wormholes work?

Wormholes are believed to work by bending space-time, creating a shortcut between two points in the universe. This bending of space-time is caused by massive objects, such as black holes, and requires negative mass or energy to keep the wormhole open. However, the existence of negative mass and energy is still a theoretical concept and has not been observed in nature.

3. Can wormholes be created artificially?

Currently, there is no known way to artificially create a wormhole. The amount of negative mass or energy required is beyond our current technological capabilities. However, scientists are exploring potential ways to create and manipulate negative mass and energy in the future.

4. What role do subatomic particles play in wormholes?

Subatomic particles, such as exotic matter, are believed to be essential in the creation and maintenance of wormholes. These particles have negative mass or energy, which is needed to bend space-time and keep the wormhole open. However, the existence of these particles is still theoretical and has not been confirmed by experiments.

5. Could wormholes be used for time travel?

The concept of using wormholes for time travel is still a subject of debate among scientists. While some theories suggest that traversable wormholes could allow for time travel, there are many technical and theoretical challenges that need to be overcome. It is currently unknown if wormholes could be used for time travel, and further research is needed to understand the potential implications of such a concept.