How can I balance an Equation?

• Thread starter LatexZone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balance
In summary, the person is asking for a step by step guide on how to balance equations. They receive a summary of the content and are asked to try to solve the equations. When they get stuck, they are sent more questions.
LatexZone

Homework Statement

Ok, please use my example of giving me a step by step guide on how to balance an equation:

Homework Equations

K + Br2 --> KBr

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I should write down the equation, draw a line underneath the arrow to separate the balancing. Then add up the atoms for each side..but I am stuck now. What is the rest of the steps to take to balance out this equation?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so you write down the skeleton equation. That's good. Now you want to balance it. To do this, you need to count the atoms on each side for potassium and bromine. On both the left and right side of the equation, there is only one molecule of potassium each. This means that potassium is balanced. For bromine, there are two atoms of bromine on the left side of the equation, but only one atom on the right side. Therefore, you need to increase the bromine atoms on the right side of the equation. Simply place a '2' in front of KBr. Now count the number of bromine atoms on each side of the equation. '2' and '2'. Bromine is balanced, but now potassium is unbalanced because the left side of the equation has only one potassium atom whereas the right side has two. You need to increase the potassium atoms, so just put a two in front of potassium on the left side of the equation. Now potassium is balanced with two atoms on both sides of the equation. The final equation should look something like this:

2K + 2Br2 → 2KBr

For balancing other equations, perform a similar procedure that I have outlined. Try balancing the following equations and send me a message with your answers and I'll help you if they are wrong or tell you if they are right.

- H2+ O2 → H2O
- C + H2→ CH4
- N2 + H2 → NH3

And here is a bonus question.
- C3H8+ O2→ CO2+ H2O

I hope this helps.

*note - the numbers behind atoms are all subscript

Last edited:
Could you please give me a step by step guide so I can answer them correctly :P

i.e.

1. Write down the unbalanced equation.

2. etc

3. etc

4. etc

Actually, he did. It's in the first paragraph.

Now, try to solve them, and send him (or her, hard to tell online) your answers.

Examples to solve, you need those to understand.

Try it first, then tell us where you get stuck.

Ok, so let me get this right;

1. Write down the unbalanced equation.

2. You now need to count the atoms on each side.
On both the left and right side of the equation, there is only one molecule of potassium each. This means that potassium is balanced. For bromine, there are two atoms of bromine on the left side of the equation, but only one atom on the right side.

3. You need to increase the bromine atoms on the right side of the equation.

4. Simply place a '2' in front of KBr.

5. Now count the number of bromine atoms on each side of the equation. '2' and '2'.

6. Bromine is balanced, but now potassium is unbalanced because the left side of the equation has only one potassium atom whereas the right side has two.

7. You need to increase the potassium atoms, so just put a two in front of potassium on the left side of the equation.

8. Now potassium is balanced with two atoms on both sides of the equation. The final equation should look something like this:

2K + 2Br2 → 2KBr

That is the step by step guide, right?

Except you put an unnecessary 2 coefficient on the bromine
molecule. Since it wasn't in your process, I don't know how it got there.

Yes it is, but I saw a mistake on my part. The final equation is 2K + Br2 → 2KBr.

Sorry about that.

There you go. That's it.

Now try the others.

Ehh...

Bonus question answer I think..

5 O2→ + C3H8 ==> 3 CO2 + 4 H2O

First question: 2 H2 + O2 ==> 2 H2O

So far, so good. Nitpickers will tell you you have put two arrows in the propane combustion one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh right.

Thanks a lot for the help.

I do have some more questions because it's all just confusing me :P

Related to How can I balance an Equation?

1. How do I know if an equation is balanced?

An equation is balanced if the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of the same element on the product side.

2. What is the first step in balancing an equation?

The first step is to write out the unbalanced equation, making sure to include all reactants and products.

3. How do I balance an equation with a polyatomic ion?

When balancing an equation with a polyatomic ion, treat the ion as a single unit and balance it as you would any other element.

4. Can I change the subscripts in an equation to balance it?

No, you cannot change the subscripts in an equation to balance it. Subscripts represent the number of atoms in a molecule and changing them would change the identity of the molecule.

5. What should I do if I cannot balance an equation?

If you cannot balance an equation, try adjusting the coefficients (numbers in front of the molecules) until the number of atoms on each side is equal. If this does not work, check your calculations and make sure you have written the equation correctly.