How do I balance this chemical equation with a fraction?

In summary, the problem is that the student is trying to balance an equation involving fractions, and is not sure how to find the numbers in a fraction. He or she asks for help, and after explaining how to find the numbers in a fraction, provides a solution.
rakeru

Homework Statement

Hi! I am currently learning how to balance equations in chemistry but something that I don't understand is using fractions to balance an equation. I have a problem that I can't work out because I'm so confused!

The problem says:

Complete and balance the acid-base reaction:

HCl(aq) + Ba(OH)2(aq) →

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that it forms water and a salt. It would be

HCl(aq) + Ba(OH)2(aq)→ H2O + BaCl

Right?? Then, to balance it.. barium and chlorine are already balanced. The problem is that to balance the hydrogen I have 2 and 3. I'm not sure if it's easy to understand what I'm saying..

How would I do this? I know that I have to use a fraction as a coefficient and then multiply all the coefficients by the denominator of that fraction. But how do I find the numbers that go on that fraction??

Pleease help! Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh my! I realized that I missed the 2 on the barium chloride subscript! I got my answer, but I still would like to know how to find the numbers in a fraction.. :<

My answer is:

2HCl+Ba(OH)2→2H2O+BaCl2

Is this correct?

That looks properly balanced to me. If you want to find fractional coefficients, you usually look at something like the combustion of Ethane

C2H6+O2 Yields H2O+CO2

To balance we get:
C2H6+(7/2)O2 Yields 3H2O+2CO2
Right? But what we need to do is get rid of the fraction, since it isn't possible to have half a molecule without splitting it, and that would require another process. So, we multiply everything by two:

2C2H6+7O2 Yields 6H2O+4CO2

So to find the fraction first, you need to look at the number of what we need. See how we have seven oxygen total in the product side? Well, the subscript for oxygen in the reactants is two, so we multiply by 7/2 to get 7 total.

Ahh I see! But let's say that you have to do that with a compound and not a free element.. would you put the fraction before the compound? Does that mean you would have to balance other elements again?

Also, why did you put the fraction on the reactant side? Could it also be on the other side? Do you always use the number of the subscript in the products as the numerator?

If you have a compound, what subscript do you use for the denominator?? Sorry for all these questions!

Yes, you could put the fraction anywhere that it's needed: remember, when you balance equations, all you need to do is make sure that the individual components of the molecules (the elements) all add up.
The fraction can go on either side to make sure that the equation is balanced, but usually it ends up going on the last compound that you balance (you end up doing oxygen last because it is a free element and can easily be changed to suit the balance of all the other components).
You don't have to necessarily use a certain subscript for the denominator, but 2 was used here because 7/2*2=7, and I needed 7 oxygen to balance the equation. However, we cannot have fractional coefficients in a final equation, so we multiply everything by two.
You can think of balancing equations in terms of simple algebra. All you need to do is balance the components by adding coefficients until each side has the same amount of everything.

Okay, thanks again. :)

No problem-glad to help.

Related to How do I balance this chemical equation with a fraction?

1. How do I know when to use fractions in a chemical equation?

Fractions are used in chemical equations to represent the ratio of moles of each reactant and product. They are used when the coefficients in front of the chemical formulas do not result in whole numbers.

2. What is the process for balancing a chemical equation with fractions?

The process for balancing a chemical equation with fractions is as follows:
1. Write out the unbalanced equation.
2. Count the number of atoms for each element on both sides of the equation.
3. Determine which elements are not balanced.
4. Choose a coefficient that will balance one of the elements.
5. Recount the number of atoms for each element and adjust the coefficients if necessary.
6. Repeat until all elements are balanced.

3. Can I leave fractions in a balanced chemical equation?

No, fractions should be eliminated in a balanced chemical equation. This is because fractions represent incomplete reactions and do not accurately reflect the actual number of atoms involved in the reaction.

4. What should I do if I end up with fractions in my final balanced equation?

If you end up with fractions in your final balanced equation, you should multiply all coefficients by the denominator of the fraction. This will result in whole numbers and a fully balanced equation.

5. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for balancing chemical equations with fractions?

There are no shortcuts for balancing chemical equations with fractions. The best way to balance these equations is to follow the step-by-step process and carefully count the number of atoms for each element. Practice and familiarity with common chemical formulas can also make the balancing process quicker and easier.