How Can First-Year Engineering Physics and Calc 3 Students Support Each Other?

In summary, a new member named LilyDuck introduces themselves to the forum, mentioning their interest in engineering physics and calculus. Other members welcome them and make jokes about the forum's traditions, such as hitting newcomers with a fish. Some members express concern about scaring LilyDuck off, but others assure them that she will enjoy being a part of the forum.
LilyDuck
Hello all:

I am new to the forum and I am in my first engineering Physics class as well as Calc 3. I hope that I can help any of you in the future.

Hope to help/get help from some peers.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello!

Hello all:

I am new to the forum have lurked for a couple of weeks and it looks like you guys/gals have a lot of fun. I hope that I can partake in some of your discussions.

LD

Admin note: please don't put introduction threads in the subject-specific forums.

- Warren

Sorry, thanks for moving it

Hi Duck, what's ur major?

Right now EE...Its getting hard but a fun challenge at the same time.

Welcome to PF LilyDuck!

I'm Physics. It is a challenge but very fun. I love it. Welcome to PF.

Hi LilyDuck, welcome to PF!

Hi there, welcome to PF, refreshments are in the back... stay away from the zooby... and don't let the sisterhood get their hands on you.

Pengwuino said:
Hi there, welcome to PF, refreshments are in the back... stay away from the zooby... and don't let the sisterhood get their hands on you.
How do you know LilyDuck isn't a new initiate into the sisterhood?

I think I'm going to skip tossing a welcome fish at LilyDuck. For some reason, a lot of new members leave right after we do that. No idea why? :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
How do you know LilyDuck isn't a new initiate into the sisterhood?
I think I'm going to skip tossing a welcome fish at LilyDuck. For some reason, a lot of new members leave right after we do that. No idea why? :rolleyes:

Beats me. When i got hit by the fish, I knew this place was my new home

So that's why the barrell of welcome fish seems to need refilling so much more frequently! I forgot we likely had penguins raiding it! :eek:

The "Welcome Fish" is a PF tradition. I don't know of any other forum that smacks newcomers with a large smelly fish.

Surely someone with a name like LilyDuck would love to get smacked with a fish.

Welcome LilyDuck, please take your fish before Pengwuino eats it.

Welcome to the asylum. Please don't feed the Penguins.
It is also advised that you do not annoy any members so as to avoid litigation.

Hi Lily! You'll like PF I promise!

We scared her off!

I think it's a new record :rolleyes:

I never got hit by a fish. :( Hope I didn't miss out on anything. I don't deserve this! I Hate my lilfe!

Heh, I think it's too soon for claiming you've scared her off! :-p

Related to How Can First-Year Engineering Physics and Calc 3 Students Support Each Other?

1. What is the purpose of the first engineering physics class?

The purpose of the first engineering physics class is to introduce students to the fundamental principles and concepts of physics that are relevant to engineering. It provides a strong foundation for further studies in engineering and prepares students for more advanced physics courses.

2. What topics are typically covered in the first engineering physics class?

The topics covered in the first engineering physics class may vary depending on the specific curriculum of the course, but they often include mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and waves and optics. These topics are essential for understanding the principles and laws that govern the physical world and are applicable to various engineering fields.

3. Do I need a strong background in math to succeed in the first engineering physics class?

While a strong background in math is certainly helpful, it is not always necessary to succeed in the first engineering physics class. The course will cover the necessary mathematical concepts and equations, and students can always seek additional help from their professors or tutors if needed.

4. What skills will I gain from taking the first engineering physics class?

Taking the first engineering physics class will not only provide you with a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of physics, but it will also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. These skills are essential for success in engineering and other STEM fields.

5. How can I prepare for the first engineering physics class?

To prepare for the first engineering physics class, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry, as well as a basic understanding of calculus. It may also be helpful to review fundamental physics concepts and familiarize yourself with the course material before the class begins. Additionally, make sure to attend all lectures, take notes, and actively participate in class discussions and activities.