How can energy be converted into matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of energy into matter and the formula for this process. There is a debate about the validity of Einstein's famous equation, E=mc2, and whether or not it can be reversed. The importance of understanding the underlying mathematical formulations and rules in physics is emphasized. It is suggested to ask the question without using the word "condenses" to avoid adding unnecessary complexity.
5echild
I don't know either, but I understand that there are people working on this.
For the sake of this discussion let us assume that energy does in fact condense into matter, and further let us assume that we have x amount of energy in watts. My question is how would one convert said amount of energy into matter? What is the formula? Any ideas? This would be most helpful with some work I'm doing.
Thank you much.

Physics news on Phys.org
5echild said:
For the sake of this discussion let us assume that energy does in fact condense into matter, and further let us assume that we have x amount of energy in watts. My question is how would one convert said amount of energy into matter? What is the formula? Any ideas? This would be most helpful with some work I'm doing.
Thank you much.
Watts is a unit of power while Joule is to energy. Anyhow, there's not much proof if matter in the form of energy will consequently reversed back to its original state without compromise. Prof. Shankar from Yale study this type of physics.

Anyhow, Einstein famous equation usually defines the absolute content of energy in a given x matter as you said. E=mc2, others oppose to this formula since, a fixed reference in the universe is not yet found or established. So, they are assuming that all mass in space has some momentum in it, therefore, the equation turns out to be like this
46d9fd53de36a1fc22d818633b0b18b9.png

and by the Second Law of Thermodynamics, that equation is not reversible.

5echild said:
For the sake of this discussion let us assume that energy does in fact condense into matter,
We don't need to assume it. It is an experimentally confirmed fact. This is the operating principle behind particle collider's like the LHC.

Ronie posted the correct formula.

5echild said:
Thank you much.

The thing about physics that you should be aware of is that practically EVERY concepts and ideas have underlying mathematical formulation or description, and because of this, these ideas and concepts are governed by a large set of rules.

I'm pointing this out to you, and to many who are not familiar with physics, so that you understand why there is a problem with your question. The word "condenses" has more definite meaning than what you are using here, and you may not be aware of it. For example, we say that steam condenses into water. This has very specific meaning and implication in physics, i.e. we simply can't throw out words like that without consequences. It implies that there is some sort of a phase transition, where certain parameters become "discontinuous". In other words, if one uses such a word, one must understand that THIS is what one is implying. That word, and my others, carry with them, certain "baggage".

If you wish to ask how "energy" can change into "matter", then ask that, rather than embellishing it as "condenses" into it. The latter simply adds more constraint to the question that turns it from a simple question, to something more complex.

Zz.

Related to How can energy be converted into matter?

What is the process of energy condensing into matter?

Energy condenses into matter through a process called pair production, where a high-energy photon splits into a particle and its antiparticle.

How does energy condensing into matter relate to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc²?

Einstein's equation shows that energy and mass are interchangeable. In the process of energy condensing into matter, some of the energy is converted into mass, according to this equation.

What evidence do we have for energy condensing into matter?

We have observed pair production in particle accelerators, where high-energy photons are used to create particles and their antiparticles. This is evidence that energy can indeed condense into matter.

Can energy condense into matter naturally, without human intervention?

Yes, energy can naturally condense into matter in extreme environments, such as the high temperatures and pressures found in the core of a star. This process is known as nuclear fusion.

How does the process of energy condensing into matter contribute to the formation of the universe?

In the early stages of the universe, there was only energy. As the universe expanded and cooled, this energy began to condense into particles, which eventually formed atoms and eventually, stars and galaxies. Without energy condensing into matter, the universe as we know it would not exist.